Wednesday, 23 May 2012 13:17
The Department of Health (DOH) stressed on Friday that regular physical activity such as sports is an ideal form of preventive medicine that reduces the risk of getting sick from respiratory and heart diseases, including cancer.
DOH Undersecretary Enrique Tayag said sports and physical activities in combination with other factors such as a healthy diet will definitely improve the health of Filipinos.
In Friday's Sports Communicators Organization of the Philippines (SCOOP) sa Kamayan forum in Manila, Tayag said there is an urgent need to act on the increasing rate of people who suffer from communicable diseases including stroke, heart attack and even cancer.
“Pabata na ng pabata ang nagkakaroon ng stroke at atake sa puso,” Tayag said.
The prime factor contributing to these diseases, Tayag said, are poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle.
Aside from a healthy diet, Tayag said Filipinos must regularly exercise or indulge in sports such as swimming and taekwondo to destress, build muscles, and improve one's health against diseases.
- 24/05/2012 11:22 - UNFPA cites P-Noy's strong advocacy for public health
- 24/05/2012 11:22 - SSS salary loan releases to 1-M members reach P15.8-B in 2011
- 24/05/2012 11:21 - TESDA to help boost PHL rubber industry
- 24/05/2012 11:19 - Zubiri warns copra price crash to worsen hunger
- 23/05/2012 13:18 - CSOs stress importance of their role in peace negotiations
- 23/05/2012 13:16 - US, Philippines Hold Consultations on Future of USAID Assistance
- 21/05/2012 12:14 - Corona urged to sign waiver on dollars
- 21/05/2012 12:09 - DBS cuts Phl inflation forecast
- 21/05/2012 11:46 - DOLE launches campaign for child labor-free Philippines
- 21/05/2012 11:45 - Sun Cellular kicks off Visayas region network expansion