Thursday, 24 May 2012 11:22
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has noted President Benigno S. Aquino III's commitment in improving the quality of life of Filipinos through family planning.
“What I saw is a President that is committed in providing services for the people. And he’s committed to actually procuring more family planning commodities for use in his country,” UNFPA Executive Director Babatunde Osotimehin said at a press conference at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Pasig City on Thursday.
He also commended the President for reaching out to as many Filipinos in providing better health services particularly for the poor.
Osotimehin assured of UNFPA's continuous support to the Philippine government in providing resources and other assistance to secure the lives of every women and young people in the country.
According to UNFPA, some 54,000 births have been made safer for poor Filipino women in 10 provinces under their 6th Country Programme.
They have also invested P602 million in the public health system which made the government save P3.4 billion.
Generally, from 1972 to 2011, UNFPA has invested some 174 million U.S. dollars to support the government’s poverty reduction programs which include family planning, safe motherhood, gender equality, and population development.
“We, at UNFPA, assist the government in procurement, in distribution, in providing services, and ensure quality services to provide reproductive health services for women and young girls,” he stated.
- 26/05/2012 11:48 - Senate may hold weekend impeachment trial
- 25/05/2012 11:14 - DOJ confirms arrest order vs. Globe Asiatique owner
- 25/05/2012 11:14 - 'I will not sign any waiver,' says Drilon
- 25/05/2012 11:12 - Sun cellular posts highest 1Q growthrate in TELCO industry
- 24/05/2012 11:23 - Comval to build Asia’s longest Zipline
- 24/05/2012 11:22 - SSS salary loan releases to 1-M members reach P15.8-B in 2011
- 24/05/2012 11:21 - TESDA to help boost PHL rubber industry
- 24/05/2012 11:19 - Zubiri warns copra price crash to worsen hunger
- 23/05/2012 13:18 - CSOs stress importance of their role in peace negotiations
- 23/05/2012 13:17 - DOH cites sports, healthy diet against high cases of stroke, heart attack