Wednesday, 13 June 2012 13:30
Amid a heavy downpour, spectators still attended Tuesday's 114th celebration of Philippine Independence at the historic Rizal Park headed by top government officials.
Vice President Jejomar Binay led a simple Independence Day rites starting with the raising of the Philippine flag at exactly 8 a.m.
Meanwhile, Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim led the laying of the wreath at the monument of national hero Dr. Jose Rizal.
Government officials present in the event include Agrarian Reform Secretary Virgilio delos Reyes, Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson, Manila Police District Director Alex Gutierrez and National Capital Region Police Office chief Alan Purisima, among others.
This year’s theme of the Freedom Day rites: “Kalayaan: Pananagutan ng Bayan Para sa Tuwid na Daan.”
Meanwhile, spectators may also visit the booths of the different government agencies that are lined up at the Lagoon Area of the Luneta Park.
The booths showcase the programs and accomplishments of each department.
For instance, in the Department of Education booth, visitors are briefed about the agency's "Gulayan sa Paaralan" project where students plant vegetables as part of the curriculum.
Ms. Edna P. Madrid, Education Program Supervisor of Deped-Pasay, said the project used to complement the feeding program of schools for malnourished children.
"Successful ang ating feeding program kasi bukod sa pag-improve ng health ng mga bata ay tumataas din ang achievement level nila in terms of academics," she said.
Independence Day ceremonies were also held simultaneously at the Gen. Emilio Agunaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite; Mauseleo de los Veterenos dela Revolucion, Manila North Cemetery; Andres Bonifacio Monument, Caloocan City; Pinaglabanan Memorial Shrine, San Juan City; and Pamintuan Mansion, Angeles City.
- 14/06/2012 11:12 - Two dead, 5 missing in Sarangani floods, storm surge
- 14/06/2012 11:10 - Sun Cellular widens network reach in Bohol
- 14/06/2012 11:09 - Tabak chief extols Filipinos to demonstrate spirit of nationalism and patriotism
- 14/06/2012 11:07 - Strong cyclone approaches; SLPA spotted in N. Mindanao seen to dissipate
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Aquino urges rekindling of love for country, pledges to uphold the Constitution, defend it from abuse
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - President Aquino reaffirms commitment to work for the good of the country
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - RBAP elated over removal of restrictions on bank branching
- 13/06/2012 13:05 - US students survive nine days in New Zealand bush
- 12/06/2012 19:27 - DOST to showcase latest local technologies in National Science and Technology Week
- 12/06/2012 19:26 - Despite loss, hero’s welcome awaits Pacquiao in GenSan