Thursday, 14 June 2012 11:09
PAGADIAN CITY – 1st Infantry (TABAK) division commander BGen. Ricardo Rainier Cruz IIIin today’s 114th Independence Day celebration Filipinos to truly demonstratethe spirit of nationalism and patriotism, during ceremonies held at Rizal monument here.
Cruz said in a message delivered by for him by asst. division commanderFelicito Virgilio Trinidad said Philippines is proud to have gained itsindependence from the Spaniards imposing takeover 114 years ago and in fact,our Republic is one of the oldest in Asia, second only to China.
Cruz said seemingly it seemed that Filipinos has not taken advantage ofindependence. "Seemingly, we haven’t achieve our progress as a nation allthese years because we lack nationalism and patriotism,” he said.
Filipinos should show a lot of positive values that we should all be proud ofsuch as patriotism, nationalism and humane compassion for fellowmen.
“Ang pagmamahal sa ating inang bayan ay mapapakita sa papamagitan ngserbisyo atpagmamalasakit sa ating kapwa; pagtatapon sa basura sa tamang lugar hindi sailog, pagtapon ng mga tricycle o jeepney drivers ng mga gamit na langis satamang lugar para mapangalagaan ang ating kapaligiran, pagturo sa mgamangingisda na huwag gumamit ng dinamita, pagbayad ng mga negosyante ng tamangbuhis, pagpairal ng halal na punong bayan o punong lalawigan sa isang mahusayna mamumuno o good governance, at iba pa.
(The love for our country can bedemonstrated through service and sacrifice; encourage tricycle or jeepney driversto properly dispose used oil to save the environment, educate fishermen not touse dynamite, urge business owners to pay their taxes correctly, encourageelected mayor or governor to implement good governance, etc.),” Cruz explained.
Cruz said this year’s anniversary theme “Pananagutan ng Bayan, Para sa Tuwid naDaan” also reminds us to be proactive and reflect on how we can keepcontributing to the independence we are ourselves are enjoying.
City administrator Rufino Amor praised the general’s appeal to patriotism andnationalism saying that it is very vital in the attainment of progress anddevelopment.
Amor said after we were emancipated from the bondage of colonial rule for morethan a century, we seemed to have not attained progress because of ourapathetic and regionalistic attitudes.
Amor also urged everyone to teach their children good virtues in life. Meanwhile, Public Attorney’s Office asstant regional director Edgar Bongalos,hopes that the virtues and sacrifices of our forefathers who fought for ourindependence will be emulated by all of us in order to serve our countrymen.
- 14/06/2012 11:16 - Alcatraz marks 50th anniversary of fabled escape
- 14/06/2012 11:16 - Sen. Chiz asks Mindanaons to nominate candidates for CJ post
- 14/06/2012 11:14 - 22 Maguindanao villages flooded
- 14/06/2012 11:12 - Two dead, 5 missing in Sarangani floods, storm surge
- 14/06/2012 11:10 - Sun Cellular widens network reach in Bohol
- 14/06/2012 11:07 - Strong cyclone approaches; SLPA spotted in N. Mindanao seen to dissipate
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Aquino urges rekindling of love for country, pledges to uphold the Constitution, defend it from abuse
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Vice President Binay leads 2012 Independence Day rites at Rizal Park
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - President Aquino reaffirms commitment to work for the good of the country
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - RBAP elated over removal of restrictions on bank branching