Monday, 25 June 2012 11:14
A low pressure area (LPA) spotted in Southern Luzon has potential to become a cyclone which will bring rains in several parts of the country on Sunday, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said.
Weather forecaster Aldczar Aurelio said the LPA was estimated based on satellite and surface data at 1,020 kilometers east of Southern Luzon (13.0°N, 134.5°E).
“The LPA might possible to become tropical cyclone dahil nasa karagatan ito kaya minomonitor natin to (because it is in the ocean, that is why we monitor this),” Aurelio said
He added if the LPA would become a cyclone while inside the Philippine territory, it will be locally codenamed "Dindo."
Aurelio said scattered rain showers can be expected in Bicol Region, Eastern Visayas and Mindanao; while Metro Manila will have fair weather but expect isolated rain showers and temperature range of about 24 to 33 degrees Celsius for Sunday.
Meanwhile, he said the shallow low pressure area (SLPA) spotted in Mindanao on Saturday and the LPA spotted Hinatuan City in Surigao del Sur on Friday afternoon have both dissipated.
In its advisory, PAGASA said Bicol region, Eastern Visayas and Mindanao will have mostly cloudy skies with scattered rain showers and thunderstorms.
The rest of the country will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rain showers or thunderstorms.
Moderate to strong winds blowing from the southwest to south will prevail over Northern and Central Luzon and the coastal waters along these areas will be moderate to rough, it added.
Elsewhere, winds will be light to moderate coming from the southwest to west with slight to moderate seas.
- 25/06/2012 11:19 - Financial action task force upgrades PHL
- 25/06/2012 11:18 - Poll body awaits Miriam’s final plan for ICC
- 25/06/2012 11:17 - PAF to get 25 more helicopters in December
- 25/06/2012 11:16 - New Paraguay leader faces mounting regional outcry
- 25/06/2012 11:15 - PHL receives increased U.S. aid amid 'diminishing U.S. funds' - Thomas
- 25/06/2012 11:13 - Philippines' musicians sing their way out of poverty
- 24/06/2012 00:00 - China tightening grip on Spratlys
- 24/06/2012 00:00 - Paraguayan president impeached
- 24/06/2012 00:00 - Malaysia summons Singapore envoy after poll rally
- 24/06/2012 00:00 - NEDA IX observes ICC-TB Meeting