Wednesday, 27 June 2012 00:00
The active low pressure area (ALPA) spotted in Eastern Samar continues to intensify and is expected to become a tropical depression that might enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) by Thursday or Friday.
Weather forecaster Boy Soriaga on Tuesday said that once ALPA becomes a cyclone, it will be called "Dindo", the fourth cyclone to hit the country this year.
Soriaga said the ALPA was estimated based on satellite and surface data at 750 kilometers East Northeast of Guiuan, Eastern Samar (12.5°N, 133.5°E).
He said the weather disturbance may also enhance the southwest monsoon, affecting Southern Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao which will experience scattered rains showers.
Possible flash floods and landslides threaten over Bicol Region, Palawan, Eastern Visayas and Northern Mindanao due to widespread rains.
Metro Manila will still experience partly cloudy with isolated rain showers, he said.
In its advisory, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said the rest of Luzon will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rain showers or thunderstorms.
Moderate to strong winds from the southwest to south will prevail over Northern and Central Luzon and coming from the southwest to west over Southern Luzon and Visayas.
Coastal waters along these areas will be moderate to rough.
Elsewhere, winds will be light to moderate coming from the southwest, and seas will be slight to moderate, it said.
- 28/06/2012 13:55 - Eight-man JBC is not a problem -- Fr. Bernas
- 28/06/2012 13:54 - President Aquino vows to go after corrupt officials in government
- 28/06/2012 13:54 - Storm signals up in 14 Northern Luzon provinces
- 28/06/2012 13:53 - PHL apologises to Taiwan over visa-free criticism
- 28/06/2012 13:51 - Trumps eye more Philippine projects
- 27/06/2012 00:00 - Sen. Recto seeks clarification on BSP’s US$ 1-B loan to IMF
- 27/06/2012 00:00 - Shell, Eastern Petroleum cut prices anew
- 26/06/2012 10:07 - Government unveils 'Food Staples Sufficiency Program'
- 26/06/2012 10:06 - Stronger LP will sustain bureaucratic reforms even beyond 2016, Aquino says
- 26/06/2012 10:06 - Ochoa declines nomination for SC Chief Justice