Friday, 29 June 2012 13:22
Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago may likely turn down her nomination as Supreme Court (SC) chief justice in favor of her election as one of the judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC), which, she said, offers higher salaries.
”It would be a big embarrassment if I would not push my election as judge of ICC which is better than chief justice and has higher salary,” Santiago said in a local dialect in an interview with Bombo Radyo in Iloilo City.
Santiago got the highest vote as the next judge of ICC last March but she is still waiting when she would be called to assume her duty.
The feisty lady lawmaker admitted that she is also interested to become SC Chief Justice but “I cannot accept the nomination.”
Santiago was one of the only three senators who voted not to convict former Chief Justice Renato Corona during the Senate impeachment trial last month. Others were Senators Joker Arroyo and Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.
A total of 20 senators voted to convict Corona on the ground of culpable violation of the Constitution over failure to declare all his wealth, including dollar accounts, in his statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN).
Meanwhile, Senator Franklin Drilon will discuss his own nomination as chief justice on Thursday in a weekly media forum Kapihan sa Senado.
The Judicial Bar Council (JBC) will close on Monday the nomination for the replacement of Corona.
- 29/06/2012 13:32 - Container port operation remains upbeat due to country's bullish economic performance
- 29/06/2012 13:25 - Drilon on CJ nomination: 'It’s more fun in the Senate'
- 29/06/2012 13:25 - Ford assembly plant to close shop by December
- 29/06/2012 13:24 - BI probing missing Jordanian journalist
- 29/06/2012 13:23 - MVP in talks to buy GMA7 in cold cash
- 28/06/2012 14:12 - President Aquino hails governance experts as contributors to nation building, backbone of bureaucracy
- 28/06/2012 14:10 - DA salutes 42 loyal employees
- 28/06/2012 14:09 - DFA seeks clarification on return of Chinese vessels to Scarborough Shoal
- 28/06/2012 14:00 - DPLMHS MENTORS AND STUDENTS ATTENDED 10th YOUTH ENVIRONMENT SUMMER CAMP
- 28/06/2012 13:56 - Excessive mercury content on products alarms lawmaker