Monday, 30 July 2012 13:02
Cancer is a fatal disease caused by an unnatural growth of malignant cells in the body.
It often manifests quite innocently, so much so that the initial symptoms often go unnoticed. The actual cure lies in early detection and eventual radiation therapy. The following article will mention steps to detect the elusive initial symptoms.
1. Skin Exam
Skin Cancer manifests as moles with discolouration, irregular borders, and unexplained multicoloured patches on the skin, with cuts or sores that stay raw. These symptoms signify the onset of skin cancer. Getting in touch with your physician and opting for regular skin examinations will prevent this.
2. Colon/Rectum Exams
Colonic or rectal cancer manifests in men, mostly after 50 years of age, in the form of unnatural bumps and bloody stools. Annual stool tests will help determine the presence of ‘occult’ components in the faeces. The testing laboratories test the sample for such components and further diagnose with more extensive tests, if such results are found. Since blood in stool can be a symptom of any other physical anomaly as well, basing these findings on cancer only will be a premature assumption. An alternate step to check for symptoms is a thorough rectal exam in which a doctor inserts a digital probe or uses his own sterilised gloved fingers to check for unnatural growths and bumps. A sigmoidoscopy, done every 3 years post 50, will help determine the symptoms of the same.
3. Mouth Exam
Unexplained sores on the lip, mouth, gum or tongue can be prematurely inferred to be an initial manifestation of mouth cancer. Regular examination of the insides of your mouth will help expose these symptoms. These sores will be characterised by swelling, bleeding, painful patches, scabs and cracks. People over 50, who regularly smoke tobacco and drink alcohol, are at maximum risk here. They should get their checkups done every year.
4. Prostate Exam
Prostrate cancer is an immensely fatal health hazard to men over 40. Prostate Cancer manifests in the unnatural swelling and pain, in the initial stages. Regular sonography and physical examinations will help determine the extent of the swelling. In the absolutely initial stage, a high dose of anti-inflammatory drug will successfully curb the growth in size, but it must be detected this early for the drugs to have effect.
5. Testicular Exam
Testicular cancer can rear its head among men aged 15 to 34. This type of cancer is characterised initially by an unexplained lump followed by sudden tenderness, pain, swelling and unnatural heaviness in the testicles. If one experiences any such symptoms, they should get in touch with their doctors immediately.
The correct way to treat cancer is to nip it in the bud. Early detection of the above mentioned symptoms can save a person from the life-threatening radiation and ensure longevity. By following the above-mentioned steps, you will be able to diagnose these symptoms yourself and help your doctor in detecting cancer early.
- 01/08/2012 13:30 - Essay tilt zeroes in on gender issues Winning piece wins P30,000
- 01/08/2012 13:28 - ZamPen pursues RbME
- 01/08/2012 12:40 - Three dead as storm lashes Philippines
- 31/07/2012 16:38 - NOTICE OF POWER INTERUPTION ON SATURDAY AUGUST 4, 2012 (NGCP)
- 31/07/2012 13:41 - DENR-IX joins the 38th National Nutrition Month (NNM) Celebration
- 30/07/2012 13:00 - 'Gener' forces airlines to cancel 13 domestic flights
- 28/07/2012 12:40 - Zambo City Bankers and Financiers group supports BSP's NGC info drive
- 28/07/2012 12:38 - WHO AIDS chief says vigilance needed vs HIV drug resistance
- 28/07/2012 12:37 - Order of Amaranth, Naval reserve group coastal clean-up on July 29
- 25/07/2012 13:43 - Mindanao infrastructure budget focused on improving road connectivity