Friday, 03 August 2012 14:50
President Benigno S. Aquino III has issued Executive Order No. 81 creating the Mindanao Power Monitoring Committee (MPMC) to facilitate all initiatives aimed at improving the energy supply in the southern region.
Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. said on Thursday that under E0 81 signed by President Aquino July 30, the coordinating body will monitor, harmonize and integrate recommendations designed to address the concerns of the Mindanao power industry sector.
“The President approved the formation of the MPMC since there is a need for a team or a body that will study the feasibility of recommendations to address the power situation in Mindanao,” Ochoa said. “It will ensure that coordination and monitoring are in place to better the power situation in Mindanao.”
The Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA), which was established under Republic Act No. 9996 and is currently chaired by Luwalhati Antonino, will oversee the MPMC. The coordinating body also serves as the secretariat.
Other members of the MPMC are the Department of Energy, the Energy Regulatory Commission, National Electrification Administration, National Power Corporation and the Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. Representatives from the Mindanao Electric Power Alliance and Association of Mindanao Rural Electric Cooperatives are likewise enjoined to become members of the committee.
The President directed the MPMC to develop a database on pertinent information regarding the power sector in Mindanao, assess the energy situation in the region and evaluate the viability of the recommendations put forward following the Mindanao power summit, among others.
Government agencies, including state-owned and -controlled corporations, are asked to assist the MPMC to help it carry its mandate.
Ochoa said initial funding for MPMC will come from the contingent fund and other sources that may be determined by the Department of Budget and Management. The subsequent budget will be incorporated in the regular appropriation for MinDA.
EO No. 81 takes effect immediately upon its publication in a newspaper of general circulation.
- 07/08/2012 13:41 - WMSU College of Law’s SADAQAH extends to University Belt
- 06/08/2012 13:36 - Trying to change the world with Zamboanga Hace
- 04/08/2012 12:19 - Binay taps LGUs in fight vs. squatter syndicates
- 04/08/2012 12:18 - LPA spotted outside PHL has chance to become tropical depression - PAGASA
- 04/08/2012 12:15 - Senate to start budget deliberations next week
- 03/08/2012 14:50 - Palace asks claimant countries in WPS to observe previously agreed declaration to ease tensions
- 03/08/2012 14:46 - PAGCOR contributes P35B to national coffers since start of Aquino presidency
- 01/08/2012 13:34 - Americans want next president to prioritize job creation, reducing corruption: poll
- 01/08/2012 13:30 - Essay tilt zeroes in on gender issues Winning piece wins P30,000
- 01/08/2012 13:28 - ZamPen pursues RbME