Wednesday, 12 September 2012 14:44
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) has revealed that the city is experiencing abnormal amount of rainfall due to the possible coming in of the El Niño Phenomenon in Zamboanga City.
For the month of July, the normal rainfall must be 152.8mm but the office recorded 158.5mm which is above normal, for August, the normal rainfall must be 144.9mm but the office only recorded 85.5mm of rain which is below normal.
For September, the normal amount of rainfall is 144.9mm. From September 1 to 10 the office already registered 36.6mm amount of rain.
The office is using the automatic rainguage to measure the volume of rainfall. The said instrument can also give warning if evacuation is already necessary due to possible flooding.
PAGASA Chief Metrological Officer Zamboanga Station Maribel Hasanah Enriquez said during an interview that the possible reason for the abnormal amount of rainfall the city is experiencing is due to the possible entry of El Niño. “Cay dol hit man quita na El Niño daw affected quita ara. Man feel man quita el El Niño by November pa man mira quita”
According to Enriquez, El Niño Phenomenon has three categories, the weak, moderate, and strong.
Rainfall is important to supply the water dam with water for the public, for the plants to grow, and to wash out el pollutants.
According to Enriquez, the PAGASA classified the climate based on rainfall. Zamboanga City has the type three climate where the peakest rainfall of the city is during August and October while the city experience less rain during February.
The office will still continue to observe the weather in this City as PAGASA have the complete equipments to monitor the weather.
By R.G. Antonet Go
- 18/09/2012 13:42 - PHIVOLCS to train teachers on quake, tsunami from September 25 to 27
- 17/09/2012 13:44 - Ex-PAF sergeant killed in Sinunuc road accident
- 13/09/2012 13:32 - Police: Drug pusher arrested in Tumaga
- 13/09/2012 13:31 - Power interruptions on Septemer 15, 16
- 12/09/2012 14:47 - Fish vendor shoots electrician over debt in Baliwasan
- 12/09/2012 14:42 - WMSU law school marks 30 years
- 12/09/2012 14:39 - Woman arrested for ‘shabu’ in buy-bust in Bunguiao
- 08/09/2012 12:49 - Uncle hacks 19-yr-old nephew in Brgy Ayala
- 08/09/2012 12:48 - Arnold Clavio is the new “kabalikat” of farmers in new Uno Feeds commercial
- 08/09/2012 12:41 - Motorist nabbed at PNP-AFP checkpoint in Curuan