Thursday, 04 October 2012 15:26
Alidin Abbilul, a grade six pupil of San Roque Elementary School bagged 1st prize in the regional World Food Day (WFD) poster-making contest. He bested 31 other participants.
A total of 16 schools both private and public participated in the contest held recently at Grand Astoria Hotel in Zamboanga City. Eleven year old Abbilul explains his poster as people from all walks of life working together to produce food for all. He was awarded with a certificate of participation and P3,000.00 cash prize.
On October 16, 2012 – World Food Day, Abbilul will represent region IX in the National WFD poster making contest in Manila; where a cash award of P15,000 pesos awaits the national winner and the winning entry will be used in the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations Christmas cards. He and his coach will go on an all-expense paid trip courtesy of the Department of Agriculture (DA), and FAO.
The poster making contest utilized agricultural materials and fishery products like palay grains, mongo, squash seeds, corn kernels, peanuts, husks, sea shells, dried seaweeds, etc. Raffyboy Lanoza of Catalina Vda de Jalon Memorial School won 2nd place, and Luke Anthony Tacang of Baliwasan Central School was third place.
DA’s Regional Information Officer Maria Melba B. Wee said that this year’s theme is “Agricultural Cooperatives: Key to Feeding the World” is timely since the department is now working closely with cooperatives all over the country; where agricultural projects are prioritized to be given to cooperatives such as irrigation, postharvest facilities and others.
In a similar event, a quiz bee and poster making contest were also conducted in celebration of the World Rabies Day on September 28. Sta. Maria Central School won 1st place in the Quiz Bee grade school level, while City High West won 1st place in Rabies day Poster making contest high school level. The activity was a collaboration between DA, DOH, DepEd, DILG-PNP, and the ZC-Office of the City Veterinarian. (CC/DA9)
- 04/10/2012 15:32 - DAR IX holds orientation on ARCP II
- 04/10/2012 15:31 - Drunk man nabbed for stabbing in Culianan
- 04/10/2012 15:31 - DTI celebrates 2012 Consumer Welfare month
- 04/10/2012 15:30 - Zambo Girl Scout Council tops 20 awards
- 04/10/2012 15:29 - Jalosjos shows more works of world-class quality
- 02/10/2012 15:17 - Man's dead body found floating in Recodo coast
- 02/10/2012 15:13 - WMSU student wins inter-chool speech contest
- 01/10/2012 15:23 - Flooding in Zambo City damages P18M worth of infra, agri-fisheries
- 01/10/2012 15:22 - Sun Cellular welcomes college basketball player Kiefer Ravena
- 27/09/2012 15:14 - PHIVOLCS' teachers training gains positive response