Monday, 18 February 2013 14:21
Former Las Piñas City Rep. Cynthia Villar, one of the Senate bets of the Liberal-led coalition Party Team PNoy, is going full blast with her campaign as she promises to continue her legislative works during three-year term in the Lower House (from 2001 to 2010).
“I want to share my experience in the local level and implement them in the national level. I want to pursue my advocacies in the Senate,” stressed Villar, popularly known as "Misis Hanep Buhay", for the livelihood enterprises that she has set up in more than 500 communities in Las Pinas and more than 100 more all over the country.
During her term as President of the Lady Legislators of the House of Representatives in the 12th, 13th and 14th Congress, she led the passage of landmark bills upholding the welfare of women, children and families.
Among these pieces of legislations were the Magna Carta of Women, anti-trafficking of women and children, anti-violence against women,protection of children in the workplace, juvenile justice system and the two versions of the Senior Citizens Act (2003 and 2010).
As chairperson of the House Committee on Higher & Technical Education in 2004 to 2010 or in the 14th Congress, Villar authored and led the passage of 28 bills promoting access to quality education nationwide.
Among these, the University of the Philippines (UP) Charter of 2008 and the Philippine Normal University (PNU) Modernization Act of 2009.
She also backed advanced systems of education such as the ladderized approach, distance learning and open-university system.
“These systems give poor and working students the opportunity to continue their studies until they earn a college diploma,” said Villar.
While “Sipag at Tiyaga” (industry and patience) are very important to conquer poverty, “Misis Hanep Buhay” noted that having a college degree is also equally important to succeed in life. “Sipag at Tiyaga” has been the campaign slogan of her husband, Senator Manny Villar whose term ends in 2013. He served as Speaker of the House and Senate President.
By Press Release
- 03/03/2013 00:00 - WMSU moves to accredit programs
- 25/02/2013 16:59 - CMZ acquires new Laparoscopic, Tranesphageal Echogram Probe
- 19/02/2013 14:25 - Sarangani energy assured by 2015
- 19/02/2013 14:11 - CAO urges pedicab drivers to follow city ordinance
- 18/02/2013 14:24 - Region 7 retains crown in PRISAA national games ‘13
- 16/01/2013 13:34 - Cafgu shot, hurt in Sangali
- 12/01/2013 11:54 - Man kills self
- 08/01/2013 14:13 - Cong. Beng Climaco leads inauguration, turn-over rites of WMSU covered court
- 08/01/2013 14:08 - WMSU stude wins in Rizal Quiz
- 20/12/2012 14:59 - Dead man found in Dita