Wednesday, 03 July 2013 15:23
AboitizPower's concern for the environment and its community was recognized after its subsdiary Therma South Inc. was awarded with the first-ever Outstanding Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) at the Manila Hotel last June 21.
The award for the 300-MW Therma South Energy project in Davao was given by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Environmental Management Bureau (DENR-EMB) during the First National Convention on the Philippien EIS System.
The Therma South Energy Project bested all other EIA of major environtemally-critical projects in the country.
The Therma South EIA was awarded for "exceed(ing) procedural and substantive standards of the Philippine EIS system," while displaying the highest technical standards through "sound scientific approach and coherence, excellent technical comprehensiveness and impressive communication of the EIA results."
The citation said the Therma South project is "a model for otehr EIA reports."
Environmental Impact Assessment or EIA is the process of predicting the environmental effects a project and designing measures to prevent these effects from having a negative impact to the environment and to people.
"This recognition is testament to the priority and value the Therma South Energy Project gives to the protection of the environment and the welfare of our host communities," said Benjie A. Cariaso, president and Chief Operating Office of Therma South.
"Our objective from day one is to build a world-class power plant that Dabawenyos and Mindanaoans will be proud of -- suplying reliable power while causing the lease adverse effect to the environment."
Each regional office of the DENR-EMB submitted an entry to the national competition. The studies were judged for its technical merits like methodology of the assessment, standards and consistency.
The EIS studies were also assessed on its technical comprehensiveness through the presentation of information and the consideration of all components.
The studies were also judged in its presentation, for better understanding of stakeholders and effective communication.
DENR-EMB XI Regional Director Ester A. Olavidez said the award should encourage other companies to strive for the high standards set by AboitizPower.
"DENR-EMB XI has set the bar higher and will make it sure that it will continue to demand the highest commitment from all project managements in implementing measures to protect the environment and the community," Olavidez said.
- 09/07/2013 14:02 - DMII Mujer Center holds free clinic
- 08/07/2013 15:39 - In the realm of patience & sacrifice
- 07/07/2013 00:00 - 81-yr-old man found dead inside house in Buenavista
- 06/07/2013 12:26 - Zambo Nat’l High School-West marks 27th Foundation Day
- 04/07/2013 14:03 - Police arrest ex-inmate engaged in extortion
- 03/07/2013 15:15 - ZCWD, LGU inaugurate water system project in East Coast
- 02/07/2013 15:10 - WMSU heads training for Grade 8 teachers
- 02/07/2013 15:10 - AFP, JSOTF, DepEd, and USAID build new classrooms in Basilan
- 27/06/2013 00:00 - M Lhuillier celebrates Pinoy Independence Day in Singapore
- 27/06/2013 00:00 - Couple held-up, robbed in Zone IV