Thursday, 04 July 2013 14:03
A former inmate allegedly engaged in extortion activities was arrested during an entrapment operation conducted by joint personnel of the local police office and Task Force Zamboanga (TFZ) at a public park in Barangay Pasonanca, this city, Tuesday afternoon.
City police director Sr. Supt. Edwin de Ocampo identified the suspect as Joerly Urot y Mendoza, 29, single, a native of Margosatubig, Zamboanga del Sur Province and now residing at Luyahan, Pasonanca, this city.
De Ocampo said the suspect was collard after he received the second part of the extortion money amounting to P5,000 from a local businesswoman.
Aside from the recovered marked money, the police and military also confiscated inside his bag a heat-sealed sachet of white crystalline substance believed to be shabu.
Criminal Investigation and Detective Management Unit (CIDMU) chief Sr. Insp. Arlan Delumpines told Zamboanga Today that the businesswoman sought police assistance after her vehicle was hit with a stone by the suspect.
Delumpines further disclosed that in the morning of June 22, 2013, the suspect left an extortion letter at the victim’s residence, threatening her life as well as her business.
Delumpines added that the suspect demanded P10,000 and ordered the businesswoman to bring the money to a restaurant along Kilometer 4, Pasonanca. However, she only gave half of the demanded money.
In the evening of June 29, 2013, the suspect visited the house of the victim and smashed her car with a stone.
Probers said, the following day, the suspect called and told the victim to give the remaining balance of the demanded cash if she does not want her life or her business ruined.
The police convinced the victim for an entrapment operation which resulted to the arrest of the suspect.
Delumpines added that Urot was previously charged for robbery and was released from jail after the dismissal of his case last January 31, 2013.
Delumpines revealed that they already prepared cases of Malicious Mischief, Extortion and violation of R.A. 9165, anti-illegal drugs law, against the suspect in court.
By Eugene A. Lasprilla
- 10/07/2013 16:19 - Elong gears for massive anti-crime crackdown
- 09/07/2013 14:02 - DMII Mujer Center holds free clinic
- 08/07/2013 15:39 - In the realm of patience & sacrifice
- 07/07/2013 00:00 - 81-yr-old man found dead inside house in Buenavista
- 06/07/2013 12:26 - Zambo Nat’l High School-West marks 27th Foundation Day
- 03/07/2013 15:23 - AboitizPower coal plant's environmental plan gets national award
- 03/07/2013 15:15 - ZCWD, LGU inaugurate water system project in East Coast
- 02/07/2013 15:10 - WMSU heads training for Grade 8 teachers
- 02/07/2013 15:10 - AFP, JSOTF, DepEd, and USAID build new classrooms in Basilan
- 27/06/2013 00:00 - M Lhuillier celebrates Pinoy Independence Day in Singapore