Wednesday, 17 July 2013 00:00
VINODURIO a white wine from the durian fruit made by a Zamboangueño, was given the Gold Award Certificate in the 2013 Amateur International Wine Competition organized by WINEMAKER in Burlington Hilton, Burlington, Vermont. This year’s competition held from April 19 to 21 was reported to be the largest ever competition in the 11-year history of wine competition organized by WINEMAKER. It was also the largest competition of its kind in the world with 4,564 entries from 50 states in North America, eight Canadian provinces and from nine other countries that include Italy and Australia.
It is a big achievement for the wine maker Abelardo Santos who hails from Guiwan, Zamboanga City and Maryland, USA, to get the award from the over four thousand entries. It took 2,282 hours over three days for the panel of judges to examine the many entries. The judges used the UC Davis 20-point Wine Scale to rate appearance, taste, after taste, and overall impression. The durian in the VINODURIO gives the special properties of the wine specifically, lasting after taste, special aroma, and clear brilliance without the use of clearing or fining agents. Among the comments from the judges are: “interesting flavor.”, “after taste lingers”, “taste weird but I like it.” The brand name stands for ‘Genus Durio” the scientific name of durian, abundant in Zamboanga, and favorite fruit of Zamboangueños.
Abelardo M. Santos is currently enrolled in the Viticulture Enology Science and Technology (VESTA) Program at Missouri State University. He is also famous for his invention of the cloud seeding and rain making equipment when he was a Captain in the Philippine Air Force. His invention is used by the PAF and other government agencies in the country’s cloud dispersal/seeding and rain making activities.
- 19/07/2013 00:00 - NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 18/07/2013 00:00 - Police arrest drug pusher
- 18/07/2013 00:00 - 7th TravelXchange attracts more participants
- 17/07/2013 00:00 - Government employee shot dead, wife hurt
- 17/07/2013 00:00 - Construction group wins at 1st Despalo Dart tourney
- 23/07/2013 13:43 - Wealth Sharing annex is for people, for nation - GPH peace panel chief
- 23/07/2013 13:43 - Fisherman shot dead in Taluksangay
- 23/07/2013 13:39 - CENRO Guipos implements the Barangay Forest Program
- 23/07/2013 13:35 - DAR Zambo Sibugay distributes 1, 489 hectares of land to 989 ARBs
- 23/07/2013 13:12 - DENR-IX observes 2013 National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week