Wednesday, 17 September 2014 11:51
The Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) leads agencies and stakeholders in this year’s celebration of the National Maritime Week slated on September 21 to 28 adopting the IMO’s theme for the World Maritime Day (25 September 2014) theme: “IMO Conventions: Effective Implementation”. The Philippines, being a major maritime player and sits in the IMO Council under Category C, is a responsible member-state of the IMO and has so far ratified/acceded 22 IMO conventions / protocol / protocol / agreement.
“MARINA is sprucing up efforts for invigorated participation of the four sectors of the maritime industry: the domestic shipping, the overseas shipping, the shipbuilding & ship repair and the maritime manpower development, as well as the maritime education and training sector and other related groups to achieve full success of the weeklong nationwide event,” said MARINA Administrator Maximo Q. Mejia Jr.
This maritime celebration, meant to focus attention on the importance of maritime safety, security, and environment protection, has stemmed from the Circular No. 1884 dated 11 July 1996 of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), enjoining all member states to celebrate World Maritime Day on the last week of every September of each year.
In response to that call, the Philippines, through a Presidential Proclamation No. 886 dated 06 September 1996 declared the last Friday of September every year as the National Maritime Day (NMD). Meanwhile, Proclamation No. 1094 series of 1997 declared every last Sunday of September of every year as National Seafarer’s Day (NSD), which amended Presidential Proclamation No. 828 series of 1996 in due recognition of Filipino seafarer’s vital role in the economic growth of the country. Virtually, the Presidential Proclamation 1094 consolidated NSD and NMD making a weeklong celebration more significant and inspiring.
The planning and coordinating of the said event is mandated to be alternately rotated amongst the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) / Cebu Ports Authority (CPA) pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 1560 series of 2008. (Press Release)
- 25/09/2014 13:08 - Senator Marcos on BBL; Mrs. Durendez’s Revelation
- 22/09/2014 14:12 - ZSCMST Hosts Training on Mangrove Crab Hatchery and Nursery
- 18/09/2014 11:34 - The effective ways to improve problem solving skill in Mathematics
- 18/09/2014 11:33 - Mathinik plus Cooperative Learning is an Effective Strategy
- 18/09/2014 11:30 - Divisoria Elem. School holds feeding program
- 17/09/2014 11:50 - ZTC conducts Nutrition Quiz Bee
- 16/09/2014 11:25 - School Principal dies in Guiwan road mishap
- 14/09/2014 15:30 - “Science Month: It’s Significance to the Zamboangueños”
- 12/09/2014 11:37 - GSP 5th Regional Committee, 8th Exec Meeting set
- 12/09/2014 11:31 - (The September to remember) In the name of Peace