Thursday, 18 September 2014 11:33
Mathematics has come to play an important role in the society. It is learned because of so many reasons. In fact, it serves as the basis of many modern inventions and scientific discoveries and research studies. However, the mastery of basic mathematics skills is needed in order to cope with the demand of life. Such demands include being numerically literate, gaining tools for future employment, developing the prerequisites for further education, and appreciating the relationship between mathematics and technology. These skills will equip a youth to a better understanding and source of enlightenment of the universe (Obe, 1996).
The Department of Education in the Philippines absolutely adheres to the importance of Mathematics in the development of the country. They believed that all Filipino pupils need a high-quality mathematics curriculum that will prepare them to choose from among a broad range of career paths. A curriculum that is complete which will provide pupils with the essentials of computational and procedural basic skills, conceptual understanding, and problem solving skills. Hence, this reflects the new Basic Education Curriculum 2010 for Mathematics. This contains the elementary learning competencies set forth by the Department of Education that will challenge both the educators and the pupils to meet or surpass the mathematics standards.
However, it is unfortunate to observe that pupils find difficulty in learning mathematics subject until to the point of disliking it. Orteza (2006) cited that students encountered difficulty in mathematics because they lack of the computational skills in the fundamental operations on whole numbers, fractions, decimals, radicals, analysis in solving problem and logical thinking. Many Math teachers found difficulty in teaching the right concept to the children. Since, we are in the high tech world then let’s go with the trend of using Mathinik ETV viewing in our Math Class where children found it very interesting and a Cooperative Learning will be used after or during their application. There are many lessons found in Mathinik that are very useful in the Math lessons and are found in the BEC. This strategy is indeed unstressful to teachers because they will just facilitate the learning and children are motivated, concepts are clear because they see the accurate examples from the ETV viewing and they do have fun in their teamwork during Cooperative Learning. (Emily Jean F. Alpuerto - Zambowood Elementary School)
- 27/09/2014 13:48 - Big Police Reports To Know
- 26/09/2014 15:50 - Human Trafficking & More Shocking Revelations on the Gas Scam
- 25/09/2014 13:08 - Senator Marcos on BBL; Mrs. Durendez’s Revelation
- 22/09/2014 14:12 - ZSCMST Hosts Training on Mangrove Crab Hatchery and Nursery
- 18/09/2014 11:34 - The effective ways to improve problem solving skill in Mathematics
- 18/09/2014 11:30 - Divisoria Elem. School holds feeding program
- 17/09/2014 11:51 - MARINA leads 2014 National Maritime Week Celebration
- 17/09/2014 11:50 - ZTC conducts Nutrition Quiz Bee
- 16/09/2014 11:25 - School Principal dies in Guiwan road mishap
- 14/09/2014 15:30 - “Science Month: It’s Significance to the Zamboangueños”