Thursday, 30 October 2014 14:26
As part of the continuing provision of livelihood assistance for the victims of the disaster last year, the Agriculture department (DA) in coordination with the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) – Animal Products Development Center (APDC) conducted four-day training on basic meet processing in Zamboanga City recently.
“We started conducting trainings last June in Tacloban, August in Bohol and this October here in Zamboanga City. These areas we targeted are areas where hit by conflict and natural disaster, leaving many with no livelihood.” said the OIC of the APCD Emelina A. Lopez. The basic meat processing training is one way to earn income, as well as with the proper procedures; food can be preserved or stored for longer periods.
According to Ms Julie Rubio, DA – Meat Processing focal person, the participants of the course are from barangay Sta. Catalina, Zone IV, Talon-Talon and Mampang. She said “this training would be very useful to them. These are basic income generating recipes that can be easily made at home. The DA region counterpart in the training is setting the venue and inviting the participants and speakers, while the BAI-APDC brought in all meat and non-meat materials needed for the said training.”
During the closing and completion program of the course, participants also expressed their gratitude to the coordinators. Ely Ignacio of barangay Talon-Talon says that he is very fortunate to be one of the chosen participants of the training. “Aside from the opportunity to learn the importance of following proper procedures, sanitation is always a priority in preparing food.” Loisa delos Reyes of barangay Mampang also said that the knowledge she gained will be shared to her family and others. “We can have a business in the future. I am grateful for this lifetime help.” she said.
All of the sixteen participants received a Starter Kit for meat processing. It includes meat and non-meat materials provided by the BAI-APDC. Dir. Lopez said that as a challenge to all participants, they team would visit the city again in a few months or next year to monitor what has been made out of their hard work.# (DA9)
- 29/11/2014 11:22 - ACPAZ receives NCCA grants for culture material development
- 21/11/2014 11:12 - Management educators in R-IX attend MAP-AIM workshop
- 21/11/2014 11:11 - ZCWD conducts information drive in Barangay Sinunuc
- 21/11/2014 11:10 - Marina sets new rules on STCW functions
- 03/11/2014 14:15 - Five-day full and rich experience for ZNHS West teachers
- 30/10/2014 14:24 - Region IX exemplary kids join DSWD National Children’s Congress
- 30/10/2014 14:21 - DENR IX conducts 9th cave forum; creates cave rescue team
- 10/10/2014 15:20 - Ompong’s Fury Hit Zambo
- 09/10/2014 13:31 - Bad News and Good News
- 08/10/2014 13:47 - Tuesday’s Heavy Rains