Monday, 20 February 2017 13:39
Mayor Beng Climaco has asked Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo to provide a catchment area other than Zamboanga City for deportees from Malaysia stressing that the city is still attending to the needs of thousands of siege-affected families temporarily housed in transitory sites.
Mayor Climaco’s request was formalized in a resolution approved by the City Peace and Order Council (CPOC) during its meeting last Friday in City Hall.
The mayor has also brought the same matter to the attention of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) during the meeting of Mindanao Regional Peace and Order Council chairpersons and vice chairpersons in Sultan Kudarat .
Zamboanga City will be accepting deportees who are residents of the city and not those from other areas.
The CPOC was prompted to approve the resolution, as more than 5,000 Filipinos who have been arrested in Sabah, Malaysia for “undocumented migrant status” will be deported to the Philippines through Zamboanga City starting February. The first batch has arrived Thursday night and were temporarily housed at the DSWD center in Talon-talon for documentation and assessment.
“We ask the DSWD secretary that a catchment area be provided for deportees and we will only accept those from Zamboanga City,” the mayor emphasized. “The families affected by the siege are still suffering in transitory sites.”
The city continues to provide assistance to internally displaced persons (IDPs) that number to almost 3,000 families still staying in the 11 transitory sites in the city, she added.
The resolution was initiated by City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head Dr. Elmeir Apolinario, seconded by Councilor Josephine Pareja and approved unanimously. (Sheila Covarrubias)
- 23/02/2017 13:15 - Keeping Pamucutan Smiling
- 22/02/2017 12:16 - Dia de Alcalde serves La Paz folks
- 22/02/2017 12:15 - SSS assures release of P1,000 additional benefit
- 22/02/2017 12:15 - WMSU, DOST launch Innovation Center for Metals and Engineering
- 21/02/2017 13:23 - (In support of K-12 Program) Host community high schools receive techvoc equipment from AboitizPower
- 20/02/2017 13:33 - Pareja asks military to set-up detachments in Eleven islands
- 18/02/2017 13:09 - Freely Receive, Freely Give
- 17/02/2017 14:17 - Aboitiz, Mindanao electric coops give relief packs to flood victims
- 17/02/2017 14:16 - SSS urges Congress to pass law to expedite flexibility in investments
- 16/02/2017 14:25 - SSS offers BFP personnel additional social insurance