Friday, 03 March 2017 12:20
Muslim leaders including the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and lawmakers have condemned the Abu Sayyaf group for beheading German Gustav Jurgen Kantner in Sulu on Sunday after a ranson demand lapsed.
"It is so disgusting that despite the all-out war waged by the military against the group, they can still play their usual terror game almost at will," the MILF said in a post on its official website last Wednesday.
According to the MILF, "For now, the most that they can do is to sympathize with the family of the victim and offer them condolences. We cannot do more than that."
Previously, the former Muslim rebel group has repeatedly stated it can not help government in its all-out war against the Abu Sayyaf as the Bangsamoro political entity is not yet in place and it has no legal authority.
The MILF wants its long range approach - which is to strengthen its presence in the island provinces - to be achieved first before it will help neutralize kidnapping in the area especially in Sulu.
"This can only happen if the Bangsamoro Basic Law will be passed into law and the MILF-led Bangsamoro Transition Authority is put into place," the MILF said.
Meanwhle, Muslim members of the House of Representatives said that the Muslim community does not consent to, encourage or support "brutal barbaric acts" done to any innocent person.
"These acts of terrorism are not in accordance with Islamic religion or way of life to which we as representaties of our people here in the Philippines belong,” the joint statement read.
The Muslim legislators, including Automous Region in Muslim Mindanao officials, presented the statement condemnation during a press conference Wednesday in Manila.
House Deputy Speaker Bai Sandra Sema, Maguindanao 1st District; Ansaruddin Adiong, Lanao del Sur 1st District; Mauyag Papandayan Jr, Lanao del Sur 2nd District, Abdulmunir Arbison, Sulu 2nd District, Ruby Sahali, Tawi-Tawi; and Sitti Turabin-Hataman, Anak Mindanao spearheaded the news conference.
"We hope that as we band together to make this condemnation, our people will be spared from unfair generalization or unfounded discrimination," they said.
"We are making this statement lest the rest of the country and the world would perceive our people to consent to, encourage, or support such brutal, barbaric acts done not only to a foreigner but to any innocent person,” they added.
Hoping that Muslims will be spared from “unfair generalization or unfounded discrimination,” they called on all brothers and sisters in Islam to pray to Allah so that the Bangsamoro Homeland will be protected from the effects of the evil acts of terrorism.
"We are also requesting our non-Muslim brothers and sisters to pray for us as we lead our people in attaining peace in our homeland,” they said. -- Hader Glang
- 04/03/2017 12:08 - Basilan CAFGUs get social protection from KaltaSSS-Collect Program
- 04/03/2017 12:07 - Ransom not paid for Kantner - DND
- 04/03/2017 12:04 - Emerging entrepreneurs undergo international leadership training
- 03/03/2017 12:22 - CDC endorses 2017 LDIP, land use plan
- 03/03/2017 12:21 - 45 siege-affected families get permanent houses
- 03/03/2017 12:19 - Stranded dolphin rescued in Limaong
- 02/03/2017 12:05 - CAFGU detachment set-up in Sta. Catalina
- 02/03/2017 12:05 - Motorcycle thief arrested
- 02/03/2017 12:04 - Two persons robbed at gunpoint in Pasonanca
- 02/03/2017 12:04 - Beng backs BIR tax efforts