Saturday, 22 January 2011 11:44
President Benigno S. Aquino III expressed confidence that newly-appointed Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. is capable of ensuring reforms in the country’s electoral system.
“I have always said that correct identification of a problem leads to the correct solutions. Brillantes’ long career in election law has given him extensive on-the-ground expertise, not just of the law, but also of the systems and processes that govern our electoral exercises,” the President said in a statement read by Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda in a press briefing in Malacanang recently.
The President appointed Brillantes, a veteran election lawyer, last Jan. 15 to serve out the unexpired term of former Comelec Chairman Jose Melo, who resigned on the same date.
The Chief Executive stressed that Brillantes’ extensive knowledge of the law and experience as election lawyer is what the country needs to initiate electoral reforms.
“We need someone with practical knowledge and not just theoretical understanding of election law, and an intensive knowledge of the bureaucracy, who could hit the ground running.
“We need someone who understands, and can fix, the defects in the system: nuisance candidates who end up disqualified late in the day, leaving too little time to inform the Board of Election Inspectors," the President said.
He added that Brillantes’ main task is to ensure that there will be an orderly and credible election in 2013. (PNA)
- 24/01/2011 14:57 - Some coastal areas, islands in Caraga sinking due to rising sea water level
- 23/01/2011 16:56 - Palace allays fears on open skies policy
- 23/01/2011 16:56 - Aquino wins Award for Political Communications
- 22/01/2011 11:45 - Legarda reiterates call for prompt action to ward off ill-effects of global warming
- 22/01/2011 11:44 - OCD: We now have a proactive approach against disaster
- 22/01/2011 11:43 - Palace stand on total log ban draws mixed reactions from lawmakers
- 22/01/2011 11:42 - Aquino to study reimposition of death penalty
- 22/01/2011 11:42 - Zamboanga braces for eco-tourism development
- 22/01/2011 11:41 - Kidnappers free Iligan City printing press owners
- 22/01/2011 11:40 - Liberal Party leaders assure Aquino of their full support