Monday, 24 January 2011 15:00
Davao City - A vice governor and two town mayors in Maguindanao Province, along with 10 other suspects and several John Does were tagged in the Nov. 28 murder of Barira Vice Mayor Alexander Tomawis in Buhangin district here.
Buldon Mayor Fatima Ruth Tomawis, wife of the slain vice mayor, has filed a formal complaint before the Department of Justice (DOJ) in Manila on Thursday.
In her complaint, Mrs. Tomawis accused Maguindanao Vice Governor Esmael Mastura, Sultan Kudarat Mayor Tucao Mastura, Sultan Mastura Mayor Armando Mastura, former Parang Mayor Talib Abo, Khadaffy Osmena, Datu Teng Diocolano, Commissioner Laban Ibrahim Conding, Ustadz Ali Limbona, Rosalim Bangon, the victim's first cousin Raul Tomawis, Ibrahim Tucas, Hadji Gadur (alias Garbi), Hadji Abdula and several John Does.
Mrs. Towawis tagged the suspects saying the family believed the killing of her husband was related to the upcoming elections in the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) scheduled on August 8, 2011.
Lawyer Mimbalawag Mangutara, spokesman of the Tomawis family, said they have several witnesses who helped in identifying the suspects.
Mangutara said the slain vice mayor was a strong contender for the ARMM gubernatorial post. The victim established the Iranun Development Council in the five Iranun-predominantly towns of Parang, Buldon, Barira, Matanog and Datu Blah Sinsuat, said to be a big threat to political opponents eyeing posts in the coming elections.
Tomawis was shot and killed by two unidentified assailants inside his residence in the morning of November 28, 2010 at Hill Drive Street in Buhangin district, in the guise of getting the victim's signature for some important documents.
When the victim approached, one of the suspects pulled a gun and shot Tomawis in the head. The town official expired at the Davao Doctor's Hospital.
Witnesses said the two suspects, who are in their teens, casually fled to an unknown direction after the shooting. Investigators have found eight spent shells of a 9-millimeter pistol at the crime scene. (PNA)
- 25/01/2011 13:46 - Norway, EU deploy ceasefire watchers in monitoring group
- 25/01/2011 13:46 - Dipolog police cited as best city police station in ZaNorte
- 25/01/2011 13:45 - Contractors asked to renew PCAB accreditation
- 25/01/2011 13:41 - Improving the reading ability of pupils inside the classroom
- 24/01/2011 15:00 - Senate moves closer toward approval of bill regulating GOCCs
- 24/01/2011 14:59 - Aquino cites role of 'mosquito press' in Martial Law
- 24/01/2011 14:58 - Chiz to Abad: Don't shoot the messenger
- 24/01/2011 14:57 - House averse to revival of death penalty
- 24/01/2011 14:57 - Some coastal areas, islands in Caraga sinking due to rising sea water level
- 23/01/2011 16:56 - Palace allays fears on open skies policy