Friday, 28 January 2011 16:39
DIPOLOG CITY – A number of activities have been lined up this early by the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources (PENRO) in Zamboanga del Norte in preparation for the “World Wetlands Month” celebration in February.
Almario M. Kaabay Jr., chief of PENRO’s Protected Areas, Wildlife and Coastal Zone (PAWCZ) unit disclosed that the four Community Environment and Natural Resources Offices (CENROs) located in the cities of Dipolog and Dapitan and the municipalities of Liloy and Siocon of the province were already ready with their respective activities for the said celebration.
Kaabay said the CENROs usually hold tree planting and advocacy campaign to drum up public awareness on how to protect the wetlands, which include the lakes, mangroves, swamps, marshes, river system, coral reefs and similar others.
Wetlands play an important role in the ecosystem, as they serve as the “cradles of biological diversity,” supporting populations of birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
The world will also celebrate “Wetlands Day” on Feb. 2 with the theme, “Wetlands and forests – forests for water and wetlands.”
With the province’s long coastlines, mangroves and coral reefs sprawling the shores from the boundary between Zamboanga del Norte and Misamis Occidental in the north up to the boundary of Zamboanga City in the south.
By Franklin P. Gumapon-PIA-ZN
- 31/01/2011 13:52 - Aquino offers P1 million for arrest of bus bombers
- 31/01/2011 13:52 - Aquino says Filipinos innate talent fuels nation’s progress
- 31/01/2011 13:51 - U.S. chooses PHL as sole partner for growth in Asia-Pacific
- 31/01/2011 13:48 - FOR THE CAUSE BY ATTY. EDIL BADDIRI
- 29/01/2011 14:28 - Palace urges Filipinos to rally behind Aquino gov’t
- 28/01/2011 16:37 - PNP intensifies intelligence, security operations nationwide
- 27/01/2011 14:08 - U.S. Mission Ministry holds medical mission in Dipolog
- 27/01/2011 14:07 - New York-based CPJ probes into Filipino broadcaster’s killing
- 27/01/2011 14:06 - Palace, officials hold second dialogue on family planning program
- 25/01/2011 13:47 - 53 Barangay Bagsakan now in Zampen villages