My Google Page Rank

Palace slams ‘noisy minority,’ blames media ‘sensationalism’

PDFPrintE-mail

Vexed by the onslaught of criticisms it has been receiving lately on the government’s failure to prevent the recent bombing incident in Makati and address the rising criminality in the country, Malacañang yesterday slammed the so-called “noisy minority” for allegedly politicizing the issues that are currently confronting President Aquino’s leadership.

Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda also blamed the media for allegedly “sensationalizing” the recent crime incidents that are being reported to the public lately beginning from the carjacking and killing spree involving a notorious group of car thieves to the latest bus mishap which already claimed five innocent lives.

“They (police) are the repository of all the statistics. They enforce peace and order. These things, I do not think, can be fudged. The only reason we are thinking that crime rates are up is that there is publicity on the kidnapping, on the certain

crimes. But overall, the crimes that are not very, very publicized and not sensational have been properly reported and properly prosecuted,” Lacierda asserted.

Former Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez also added himself to the growing number of people who expressed disappointment with how Aquino has been running the government as he reportedly described his administration as “inutile” because of the crimes that are happening lately.

Lacierda claimed that the law enforcement authorities did not sleep on their jobs when the first travel advisory citing an imminent terrorist attack based on raw information was received by the country on Nov. 3 last year.

He said Malacañang had immediately ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the government’s intelligence agencies to immediately beef up the country’s security measures to prevent any untoward events from happening.

“While it is true that the President expressed his concern on the basis of the travel advisory being raw information only, we did not ignore the warnings. In fact, I came out with a statement and we informed the public that AFP and PNP were on heightened alert and then we also mentioned that NCRPO (National Capital Region Police Office) has increased police visibility and deployed police in malls, hotels and commercial establishments,” Lacierda explained.

In belying Gonzalez’s claims, on the other hand, Lacierda ironically applied the same line of defense that former President Gloria Arroyo’s men used to do which was to summon statistical figures in an effort to dispel the public’s negative perceptions.

Lacierda claimed that there has been a general decrease in crime statistics from 2009 to 2010 as if these numbers genuinely reflect the disparity between the previous and the current administrations in curbing crimes.

The Palace official also refused to admit that the Tuesday’s bus blast could be attributed to the government’s poor intelligence work even as he concurred with Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin’s statement that authorities were actually tipped off before the attack happened.

Lacierda also disowned the Philippines’ ranking as the eighth most dangerous country in the world based on the global terrorism risk index of the United Kingdom-based think tank, Maplecroft, as it claimed that nothing has changed with respect to their position on the latest travel advisory issued by the British Embassy in light of the recent Makati bus blast.

Lacierda told a news briefing that security forces in the country are all in place as he attributed Maplecroft’s assessment to the longstanding problems of terrorism in the South which, he said, is a concern for the Aquino administration.

In its updated travel advisory, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office said attacks could be “indiscriminate,” citing the bus explosion.

“Terrorist groups continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and the intent to carry out these attacks at anytime and anywhere in the country,” the UK advice said.

It also maintained that there is a “high threat” from terrorism throughout the country.

The UK said British travelers to the Philippines must be wary of their security when going to places frequented by expatriates and tourists like airports, shopping malls and places of worship.

Relatedly, the AFP is considering the bus bombing as a minor setback as it cited the only lapse of the intelligence community is the failure to pinpoint the exact place and time of the attack which are really hard to establish especially against determined attackers.

AFP spokesman Brig. Gen. Jose Mabanta Jr. yesterday stressed the military is taking the incident as a challenge to further improve on its operations and training.

“The lapse really is actually pinpointing the time, date and place and the modus operandi on how it will be implemented but we have had reports of the possibility of these threats,” he said.

Mabanta, however, stressed that no country is exempted from terror attacks as he cited recent bombing of an airport terminal in Moscow that killed dozens of people. “This is a minor setback, no doubt about it. But we look at it as an opportunity to really strengthen and inform our people about the need to really be vigilant. We look at this as an opportunity to strengthen our intelligence collection efforts, to beef up our equipment, to add or push our intelligence operatives further,” he said.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, for her part, said the bombing could be an operation of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

According to De Lima, she had been informed during Cabinet security briefings that the operation was a “signature of the MILF-Special Operations Group.”

But the Muslim group denied involvement in the bus bombing.

De Lima, quoting the military, however, said “MILF does not own up, ASG (Abu Sayyaf Group) usually does (in the past). They (ASG) would claim ownership or responsibility of an act like that but not MILF.

Asked to further comment on the bomb used, the Justice chief said: “(the bombcraft) bears the signature of MILF-SOG and is similar to the recent bombings including other bus in Cotabato.

 




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Mini-grocery loses P.5M to robbers

20 Sep 2017 Hits:74 Be the first to comment!

The Sta. Maria Police (Police Station 7) is now conducting a deeper probe on the robbery of a mini-grocery in Barangay Tumaga, this city, where the sum of P500,000 was discovered missing on Monday morning. Chief Inspector Rolly Joaquino, station commander, said that a certain Raquel Perez y Rogicio, 37, of Zone 2, Tumaga reported that she discovered the robbery incident transpired  at Hersey Snow store about 3 a.m., Monday. She claimed that the half million pesos placed inside her color peach bag was missing inside her room adjacent to the establishment and believed to have been stolen. PO2 Almonjade Luddin, investigator-on-case, conducted an ocular investigation at the establishment however, he failed to establish any sign of forced entry. He further revealed that the [...] Read more

Prev Next Page:

Three hurt including a minor in vehicular incident

20 Sep 2017 Hits:65 Be the first to comment!

Three persons including a minor were injured after they were hit by a motorcycle along MCLL Highway, Barangay Quiniput, this city, last Saturday. Police identified the injured victims as Floribel Perez [...] Read more


SLIPPERY MOVES OF… FLORA

20 Sep 2017 Hits:55 Be the first to comment!

Este si Flora May S. Ceno, ta llama conele Flora , 20 años de edad, residente de Poblacion, Lakewood Zamboanga Del Sur . Su mayores si Rolando M. Ceno y [...] Read more


FIGHTER’S VISION... GHEN YAN

17 Sep 2017 Hits:77 Be the first to comment!

Este si Ghen Yhan Cabayaruz Berdon , su palayao “yan Yan”, 15 años de edad 5’4” el altor, anak di Agbayani D. Berdon y Genalyn Cabayacruz Berdon , hermano  si [...] Read more


ENDURANCE DASHER … JEK

15 Sep 2017 Hits:91 Be the first to comment!

Este si Jeric Sabungan Gaceta , su palayao “Jek”, 19 años de edad, 5’6” el altor , residente de Barangay Camino Nuevo , Ciudad de Zamboanga . Su mayores si [...] Read more


ROOKIE VISION… PETER

13 Sep 2017 Hits:101 Be the first to comment!

Este si Peter Edward Patual Ignacio , ta llama conele “Peter”, 18 años de edad, 6’3” el altor, residente de Navarro Court Ext, Sta Maria, Ciudad de Zamboanga . Su [...] Read more


BEST OF THE BEST - SILVER…..JELSEA

12 Sep 2017 Hits:96 Be the first to comment!

Este si Jelsea Nicole Batayen Arboiz , ta llama conele “Jelsea“, 13 años de edad , anak di Roger P. Arboiz y Marites A. Batayen , su hermana si Julie [...] Read more


UPRISING GOLDEN ACHIEVER… NICA

10 Sep 2017 Hits:112 Be the first to comment!

Este si Veronica Padillo Sagrado , ta llama conele na palayao “Nica” , 13 años de edad , anak di Ferdinand Elloreg Sagrado  y Marilyn Padillo Sagrado , su hermana [...] Read more


Factory worker nabbed for illegal drugs

07 Sep 2017 Hits:144 Be the first to comment!

A worker at a canning factory was conducted to Police Station 9 after he was caught in possession of a sachet of alleged shabu while entering the premises of Universal [...] Read more


Student stabbed in street brawl

07 Sep 2017 Hits:134 Be the first to comment!

A grade 9 student was rushed to the hospital after he was stabbed during a brawl in Sitio Pasay, Barangay San Roque, this city, Tuesday. Police Station 7, investigator-on-case from the [...] Read more


PANTHER MOVES… VEN VEN

07 Sep 2017 Hits:103 Be the first to comment!

Este si Kaven Repollo Carandang , su palayao “ven ven “, 14 años de edad ,residente de MalasigaTalungan , Barangay San Roque , Ciudad de Zamboanga . Su mayores si [...] Read more


MUAY THAI BRAWLER…. IAN

06 Sep 2017 Hits:115 Be the first to comment!

Este si Prince Ian Cabayacruz Berdon , ta llama conele “Ian”, 14 años de edad, anak di Agbayani D. Berdon y Genalyn Cabayacruz Berdon . Su hermano si Ghen Yhan [...] Read more


It’s “Business as usual” in ZamPen

06 Sep 2017 Hits:160 Be the first to comment!

Despite the extension of military rule in Mindanao, business remains vibrant in Zamboanga Peninsula. Department of Trade and Industry-9 Regional Director Sitti Amina M. Jain said peace and order remains stable [...] Read more


Swedish national held for questioning

06 Sep 2017 Hits:168 Be the first to comment!

A Swedish National allegedly heading to Basilan Province was prevented from leaving Zamboanga City by personnel of the Philippine Coast Guard Zamboanga Station (PCGZS) on Sunday. A report coming from the [...] Read more


SEA GAMES MUAY THAI BRONZE… RYAN

03 Sep 2017 Hits:126 Be the first to comment!

El diaton Muay Thai Bronze medalist  si Ryan Tarang Jakiri , ta llama conele el “Pilipino assassin” , 25 años de edad, 5’8” el altor , casao cun May Libao [...] Read more


SEA GAMES PENCAK SILAT BRONZE ….JEFF

02 Sep 2017 Hits:124 Be the first to comment!

El diaton Pencak Silat Bronze medalist si Jefferson Rhey Abilay Loon , su palayao “Jeff”, 24 años de edad ,5’7” el altor , residente de Barangay San Roque , anak [...] Read more


SEA GAME BILLIARD STAR…. CHEZKA

01 Sep 2017 Hits:126 Be the first to comment!

El diaton Billiard Cue Star … Chezka Luy Centeno , 18 años el edad , residente de Veterans Avenue Extesion , Tetuan , Ciudad de Zamboanga ,6 sila man Hermana [...] Read more


City preps homecoming rites for SEA games medalists

31 Aug 2017 Hits:140 Be the first to comment!

The City Government is preparing a special homecoming ceremony for Zamboangueño athletes who reaped medals in the recently concluded 29th Southeast Asian Games in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. At the same time, [...] Read more


Pawnshop employee arrested for estafa

31 Aug 2017 Hits:129 Be the first to comment!

A former employee of a pawnshop was arrested for 12 counts of Estafa by personnel of the Detective Management Unit of Police Station 11 led by SPO4 Timhar Jamsikin Canelar [...] Read more