Saturday, 05 February 2011 14:22
Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. on Wednesday easily breezed through his confirmation after the Commission on Appointments (CA) unanimously approved his nomination to the post.
In the plenary session, Ochoa received the swift confirmation of the CA with no opposition from members of the powerful body.
According to the CA Secretariat, the endorsement of Ochoa in the committee level was the “fastest confirmation hearing in 10 years.”
“The Office of the Executive Secretary is no place for lightweights and mediocre public servants. The outstanding performance of the Quezon City government is eloquent proof of the appointee’s professional competence, administrative expertise and personal integrity,” said Rep. Rosendo Labadlabad, chairman of the committee on government corporation and other offices.
Ochoa used to be the administrator of Quezon City from January 2003 to June of 2010.
According to Labadlabad, as executive secretary, Ochoa wields tremendous powers, directly assisting President Benigno Aquino III in managing the affairs of the government.
“But we have no reason to be apprehensive. For being not only an Atenean but also a Thomasian, Attorney Ochoa Jr. must have already internalized the now famous Spiderman theme: with great power comes great responsibility,” the lawmaker from Zamboanga del Norte said.
Labadlabad expressed optimism that Ochoa will prove equal to the challenges confronting the day to day operations of the office.
At the CA panel’s hearing in the morning, Sen. Joker Arroyo, himself a former executive secretary, did not object to the nomination of the “Little President.”
Arroyo recognized President Aquino’s overwhelming trust and confidence in Ochoa that the latter can effectively and efficiently carry out the duties and responsibilities of an executive secretary.
Asked by reporters whether he was surprised by the quick confirmation process, Ochoa said he was elated by the vote of confidence of the bicameral commission to President Aquino and his governance.
- 07/02/2011 13:51 - Lawmaker calls for top-to-bottom probe on alleged AFP 'rip off'
- 07/02/2011 13:51 - Filipinos deserve a good, honest media – Aquino
- 07/02/2011 13:50 - CICT head cites usefulness of Facebook, Twitter as tools in public service
- 07/02/2011 13:50 - Palace confident of sustaining economic growth record
- 07/02/2011 13:49 - Phl economy hit a 35-year high of 7.3% in 2010
- 04/02/2011 14:39 - CSC to conduct Penology Officer exam
- 04/02/2011 14:39 - PIA Chief: Drug couriers an embarrassment to PH
- 04/02/2011 14:38 - 6 PNP officials suspended for 6 months for anomalous travel to Russia
- 03/02/2011 14:24 - SuperFerry welcomes love month with Todo Todo Sail Sale
- 02/02/2011 12:31 - Aquino appoints more government official