Thursday, 10 February 2011 12:06
The Philippine National Police (PNP) said its investigators are looking at suicide angle as the possible cause of the death of former Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes Tuesday morning.
Reyes, 65, was pronounced dead on arrival by attending physicians at the Quirino Memorial Medical Center (QMMC) in Quezon City at about 8:45 a.m. due to an apparently self-inflicted bullet wound in the chest.
On Monday, Reyes begged off from attending a Senate hearing on alleged financial fund scam in the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
PNP spokesman Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz said the Marikina Police Station (MPS) theorized that Reyes committed suicide early Tuesday morning at the Loyola Memorial Park (LMP) in Marikina City where he visited the tomb of his mother whose death anniversary was Feb. 7.
Cruz said the MPS Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) are checking out the LMP complex for possible clues that might prove Reyes' death was a suicide.
The suicide theory was based on an eye witness account and from Reyes’ family members who were told to get inside the family car ahead of the former defense chief.
It was reported that after a single gunshot was heard, Reyes was found slumped on the ground with a book entitled “The Trump.”
Health Secretary Enrique Ona later told reporters at the QMMC that they are awaiting autopsy results of Reyes who also served as secretary of the Interior and Local Government, Environment and Natural Resources, and Energy.
Reyes was accused recently in a high-profile congressional hearing of pocketing money from the armed forces.
Reyes, who was born on March 17, 1945, was the Secretary of the Department of National Defense (DND) from 2001 to 2003 and of the Department of Energy under President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
By Joel C. Atencio-PNA
- 10/02/2011 14:17 - Chiz: Don't drag PMA to corruption controversy
- 10/02/2011 14:16 - Dairy farmer from Pagadian wins National Gawad Saka Award ‘10
- 10/02/2011 14:15 - Paje orders adoption of standard reference system for land surveys and mapping
- 10/02/2011 14:12 - Senators saddened by Reyes' death
- 10/02/2011 14:11 - 9th RCDG conducts special basic military training
- 09/02/2011 00:00 - Friends, relatives grieve over Reyes' demise
- 09/02/2011 00:00 - AFP adopts “bayanihan” to promote development, end insurgency
- 10/02/2011 12:03 - Ochoa says 17 priority bills to be presented to LEDAC
- 10/02/2011 12:00 - Ochoa pledges to protect military institution
- 09/02/2011 00:00 - Paje sets deadlines for cleansing of pending, idle mining projects