Monday, 14 February 2011 13:14
The Western Mindanao State University (WMSU) is this year’s over-all champion of the recently concluded Mindanao Association of State Colleges and Universities Foundation, Inc. (MASCUF) Games 2011.
The sports event was held at Kabacan, Cotabato City last January 21 to February 4, 2011.
The event serves as an instrument in convening student athletes for camaraderie and sportsmanship among state colleges and universities in Mindanao.
The WMSU delegation of 186 athletes was headed by the university president, Dr. Grace Rebollos, together with Prof. Elmer Labad (College of Physical Education, Recreation and Sports Dean) and Manuel Paster (University Sports and Fitness Department Director). Winning a total of 66 gold, 32 silver and 32 bronze, the university outdid other 23 tertiary schools.
The delegation was champion among the following sports events: Softball (Women), Baseball, Badminton Mix Doubles, Sepak Takraw, Volleyball (Men), Chess (Women) and Table Tennis (Women). WMSU also landed runner-ups for the following events: Swimming Men and Women (2nd place), Athletics (3rd place), Soccer Football-Men (3rd place), Basketball-Men (3rd Place), Basketball-Women (2nd place), Taekwondo (2nd place), Volleyball-Women (3rd place), Chess-Men (3rd place), Table Tennis-Men (5th place) and Badminton Team (5th place).
Moreover, University of Southern Mindanao and Bukidnon State University placed 2nd and 3rd respectively. While Basilan State College and Surigao del Sur State University ranked 4th and 5th in the medal tally.
By Ekeena O. Lim
- 16/02/2011 00:00 - ADB to conduct mid-term review of DOE’s CFL distribution
- 15/02/2011 00:00 - Father kills daughters before suicide
- 14/02/2011 13:17 - Upsilon Phi Sigma celebrates 76th founding anniversary today
- 14/02/2011 13:17 - Paje sees dawning of new era in PH’s timber industry with EO 23
- 14/02/2011 13:16 - Earth-sized planet candidates found in habitable zone
- 14/02/2011 13:13 - EO standardizes pay, perks of GOCC, GFI execs
- 10/02/2011 14:17 - Chiz: Don't drag PMA to corruption controversy
- 10/02/2011 14:16 - Dairy farmer from Pagadian wins National Gawad Saka Award ‘10
- 10/02/2011 14:15 - Paje orders adoption of standard reference system for land surveys and mapping
- 10/02/2011 14:12 - Senators saddened by Reyes' death