Saturday, 26 February 2011 00:00
President Benigno S. Aquino III has asked Vice President Jejomar Binay to decide on the issue of burying the late President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani citing his “personal bias” on the matter.
In an interview with the members of media after attending the Youth Day dubbed as “Pilipinas Got Bukas” in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the People Power Revolution at the Rizal High School in Pasig City on Wednesday, President Aquino said he has decided to inhibit himself from deciding on whether former dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. should finally be allowed to be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes’ Cemetery) in Taguig City.
He said he will let “somebody who has less personal attachment” to decide on it.
“I have talked to the Vice President and I asked him if he could be the one to decide on the case dahil sa akin nga maski ano pa ang desisyon ko sasabihin namemersonal ako,” the Chief Executive noted.
He said that Vice President Binay also has a strong opinion on the issue but his decision would gain less criticism on being bias. As a human rights lawyer, he helped found the Movement of Attorneys for Brotherhood, Integrity and Nationalism, Inc. (MABINI) before he was appointed as Officer-in-Charge of Makati City by then President Corazon C. Aquino.
The Chief Executive said that the Vice President would give it a fair hearing before coming up with a decision. (PCOO/PIA9-BST)
- 02/03/2011 14:13 - MNLF calls for unity, full implementation of peace pact
- 02/03/2011 14:12 - ABC, ABS outdo each other before Davaoenos
- 28/02/2011 14:14 - Aquino confers awards on 6 key people who inspired 1986 EDSA revolt
- 28/02/2011 14:13 - Gov’t eyes tie-up with Islamic Development Bank for Filipino Muslims
- 28/02/2011 14:12 - More OFWs from Libya home safely — DOLE
- 25/02/2011 00:00 - Aquino urges youth to instill spirit of volunteerism for nation buildin
- 24/02/2011 14:12 - DFA sets prisoner swap talks with China
- 24/02/2011 14:11 - House to start impeachment proceedings vs Ombudsman in March
- 24/02/2011 14:09 - Middle East unrest to impact adversely on PH economy – Villar
- 24/02/2011 14:08 - WHO anxious over ARMM’s imminent political turn-over