Tuesday, 08 March 2011 09:56
President Benigno Simeon Aquino III named Lieutenant General Eduardo Oban Jr. as the 42nd chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, replacing Gen. Ricardo David Jr. who will retire on March 8.
The Chief Executive made the announcement at the 106th commencement exercises of the Philippine Military Academy’s Laon Alab Class 2011 on Sunday at the Borromeo Field here.
The President said he has no doubts that Oban is capable of continuing the reforms in the Armed Forces initiated by David.
The President also expressed hope that Oban will serve as an “inspiration” for the new graduates “so we can achieve our goals for our country.”
Oban is the third AFP chief to come from the Air Force since 1996.
Before his appointment as the new AFP Chief, Oban held the third highest post in the Armed Forces, being the Deputy Chief of Staff responsible for the administration and supervision of the joint coordinating, technical and special staffs of the military headquarters.
He is a member of PMA Class of 1979 and graduated as one of the topnotchers of his class.
He was formerly Vice Commander of the Air Force.
Before he entered the PMA, Oban graduated from the University of Santo Tomas. He also has a master’s degree in business economics from the University of Asia and the Pacific. He will retire on Dec. 13 this year.
Oban’s most prominent role in his career was his involvement in negotiations to end the Oakwood mutiny in 2003. The general was among those chosen by the mutinous Magdalo to be part of the government panel that negotiated with them for their return to the barracks.
A former instructor pilot, Oban hails from Sorsogon. (PCOO/PIA9-BST)
- 10/03/2011 14:17 - Aquino to raise joint South China Sea oil probe to ASEAN
- 10/03/2011 14:16 - Many nursing schools in Davao City facing closure
- 10/03/2011 14:15 - Flights normal, PAL assures riding public
- 10/03/2011 14:14 - Philippines ratifies Rome Statute of the ICC
- 09/03/2011 13:06 - New taxes last resort to raise revenues – Carandang
- 08/03/2011 09:54 - Incoming AFP chief lists three top priorities
- 07/03/2011 14:32 - Baldoz says reintegration program for Libya OFW repatriates ready and established
- 07/03/2011 14:32 - Dapitan Shrine VPA Association, adjudged Most Outstanding VPA Association of Region IX
- 07/03/2011 14:31 - Libyan military attacks anti- government forces near Tripoli
- 07/03/2011 14:30 - Coast Guard deploys three ships off Palawan to secure research ship