My Google Page Rank

Gadhafi vows to fight as strikes hit his forces

PDFPrintE-mail

TRIPOLI, Libya – Moammar Gadhafi vowed a "long war" as allied forces launched a second night of strikes on Libya, and jubilant rebels who only a day before were in danger of being crushed by his forces now boasted they would bring him down. The U.S. military said the international assault would hit any Gadhafi forces on the ground that are attacking the opposition.

In an attack that carried as much symbolism as military effect, late Sunday a cruise missile blasted a building in Gadhafi's residential compound, near his iconic tent. It was not known where Gadhafi was at the time, but it seemed to show that while the allies trade nuances over whether his fall is a goal of their campaign — he is not safe.

An Associated Press photographer escorted to the scene by the Libyan government said half of the round, three-story administration building was knocked down, smoke was rising from it and pieces of the missile were scattered around the scene. About 300 Gadhafi supporters were in the compound at the time. It was not known if any were hurt.

The U.S. military said the bombardment so far — a rain of Tomahawk cruise missiles and precision bombs from American and European aircraft, including long-range stealth B-2 bombers — had succeeded in heavily degrading Gadhafi's air defenses.

In addition to targeting anti-aircaft sites, U.S., British and French planes blasted a line of tanks that had been moving on the rebel capital Benghazi, in the opposition-held eastern half of the country. On Sunday, at least seven demolished tanks smoldered in a field 12 miles (20 kilometers) south of Benghazi, many of them with their turrets and treads blown off, alongside charred armored personnel carriers, jeeps and SUVs of the kind used by Gadhafi fighters.

"I feel like in two days max we will destroy Gadhafi," said Ezzeldin Helwani, 35, a rebel standing next to the smoldering wreckage of an armored personnel carrier, the air thick with smoke and the pungent smell of burning rubber. In a grisly sort of battle trophy, celebrating fighters hung a severed goat's head with a cigarette in its mouth from the turret of one of the gutted tanks.

The strikes that began early Sunday gave immediate, if temporary, relief to Benghazi, which the day before had been under a heavy attack that killed at least 120 people. The city's calm on Sunday highlighted the dramatic turnaround that the allied strikes bring to Libya's month-old upheaval: For the past 10 days, Gadhafi's forces had been on a triumphant offensive against the rebel-held east, driving opposition fighters back with the overwhelming firepower of tanks, artillery, warplanes and warships.

Now Gadhafi's forces are potential targets for U.S. and European strikes. The U.N. resolution authorizing international military action in Libya not only sets up a no-fly zone but allows "all necessary measures" to prevent attacks on civilians.

But the U.S. military, for the time being at the lead of the international campaign, is trying to walk a fine line over the end game of the assault. It is avoiding for now any appearance that it aims to take out Gadhafi or help the rebels oust him, instead limiting its stated goals to protecting civilians.
At the Pentagon, Navy Vice Adm. William E. Gortney underlined that strikes are not specifically targeting the Libyan leader or his residence in Tripoli. He said that any of Gadhafi's ground forces advancing on the rebels were open targets.

"If they are moving on opposition forces ... yes, we will take them under attack," he told reporters.

"We judge these strikes to have been very effective in significantly degrading the regime's air defense capability," Gortney said. "We believe his forces are under significant stress and suffering from both isolation and a good deal of confusion."

A military official said Air Force B-2 stealth bombers flew 25 hours in a round trip from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri and dropped 45 2,000-pound bombs.

What happens if rebel forces eventually go on the offensive against Gadhafi's troops remains unclear. Gortney would not say whether strikes would hit Libyan troops fighting back against rebel assaults.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said late Sunday that the U.S. expects turn over control of the operation to a coalition headed by France, Britain or NATO "in a matter of days," reflecting concern that the U.S. military was stretched thin by its current missions. Turkey was blocking NATO action, which requires agreement by all 28 members of the alliance.

Sunday night, heavy anti-aircraft fire erupted repeatedly in the capital, Tripoli, with arcs of red tracer bullets and exploding shells in the dark sky — marking the start of a second night of international strikes. Gadhafi supporters in the streets shot automatic weapons in the air in a show of defiance. It was not immediately known what was being targeted in the new strikes.

Libyan army spokesman Col. Milad al-Fokhi said Libyan army units had been ordered to cease fire at 9 p.m. local time, but the hour passed with no letup in military activity.

Gadhafi vowed to fight on. In a phone call to Libyan state television Sunday, he said he would not let up on Benghazi and said the government had opened up weapons depots to all Libyans, who were now armed with "automatic weapons, mortars and bombs." State television said Gadhafi's supporters were converging on airports as human shields.

"We promise you a long war," he said.

Throughout the day Sunday, Libyan TV showed a stream of what it said were popular demonstrations in support of Gadhafi in Tripoli and other towns and cities. It showed cars with horns blaring, women ululating, young men waving green flags and holding up pictures of the Libyan leader. Women and children chanted, "God, Moammar and Libya, that's it!"

"Our blood is green, not red," one unidentified woman told the broadcaster, referring to the signature color of Gadhafi's regime. "He is our father, we will be with him to the last drop of blood. Our blood is green with our love for him."

(Lucas reported from Benghazi, Libya. Associated Press writers Maggie Michael in Cairo and Lolita C. Baldor and Robert Burns in Washington contributed to this report.)




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

D’ JAGUAR COACH … CLARO

25 Nov 2017 Hits:47 Be the first to comment!

Este si Claro Borgonia Nuesca , 5’8” el altor , residente de #60 Sunrise Village , Guiwan, Ciudad de Zamboanga . Su mayores si Claudio N. Nuesca Jr. y Rosalina Natividad Borgonia Nuesca. Su hermano y hermana si Mae Rose, Jojo, Diding, Edelyn y Edward . Ya gradua Elementaria na Guiwan Elementary School, secondaria na Zamboanga City High School Main na Petit Barracks y colegio na WMSU . Este su istoria… “Cuando bata ta juga yo basketball junto con mi maga amigo , si Jr Turano, Carlo Montaño, Percival Galvez, Michael Galvez y Christopher Dela Cruz . Ya iscuji yo el basketball kay mi maga primo amo el ya influencia conmigo y ya mira yo interesable el juego . Ya juga yo [...] Read more

Prev Next Page:

One gun-for-hire dead in shootout with cops

24 Nov 2017 Hits:121 Be the first to comment!

An alleged member of a gun-for-hire group was killed in a shootout with personnel of the Regional Public Safety Battalion 9 (RPSB9) in Barangay Balok, Sindangan Municipality, Zamboanga del Norte [...] Read more


FERNDALE SCHOOL 2017 SBP PASSERELLE MINDANAO CHAMPION

24 Nov 2017 Hits:57 Be the first to comment!

Este el istoria del Ferndale International School locao na Veterans Avenue, Ciudad de Zamboanga. El presidente del escuela si Dr. Anicia A. Alvarez y el official ta ayuda mira canamon [...] Read more


BAP TOURNAMENT AND OFFICIATING LEAGUE

23 Nov 2017 Hits:74 Be the first to comment!

Schedule games for Nov. 26,2017 (Sun) Golden Boys Gym 8:30 am  Bonchon -vs-  J Vince 10:00 am  Jocsie     -vs-   RRJ RESULT of the games played last Nov.19,2017(Sun) WEST SCC GYM.. SAN JOSE [...] Read more


Four houses destroyed by fire

23 Nov 2017 Hits:76 Be the first to comment!

Four houses made-of-light materials were totally razed to the ground in Royal Lane Drive, Barangay Tugbungan. Zamboanga City Central Fire Station (ZCCFS), District Fire Marshall Clint Cha identified the owners of [...] Read more


WMSU, WMBA host National Training on Bio-Threat Reduction for LGUs

22 Nov 2017 Hits:86 Be the first to comment!

The Western Mindanao State University (WMSU), through the Western Mindanao Biosafety and Biosecurity Association (WMBA), and in partnership with the United States Department of Defense- Defense Threat Reduction Agency, successfully [...] Read more


Fire Chief prepares for fire

22 Nov 2017 Hits:87 Be the first to comment!

In preparation for the coming Yuletide Season, District Fire Marshal, Chief Insp. Clint Cha has called on all fire sub-stations to prepare and ready their various equipment and firetrucks. Cha said [...] Read more


DOH cites importance EO 28

22 Nov 2017 Hits:74 Be the first to comment!

The Department of Health, Regional Office 9 yesterday explained the objective and importance of Executive Order Number 28 of President Rodrigo Duterte on June 27, 2017, providing for the regulation [...] Read more


Wesmincom Chief says ASG strenght significantly dropped

22 Nov 2017 Hits:78 Be the first to comment!

Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez, Western Mindanao Command Chief, yesterday said that the strength of the Abu Sayyaf Group in Sulu, Basilan and Tawi Tawi has significantly decreased. Galvez said this is [...] Read more


D' CUSTODIAN BALLER … NELLIE

22 Nov 2017 Hits:68 Be the first to comment!

Este si Marnelli Candido Berba, su palayao “Nellie”, 33 años de edad, 5’0” el altor, residente de Talon Talon, Ciudad de Zamboanga. Su mayores si Ernesto N. Berba y Maridol [...] Read more


380 aspiring fire officers take qualifying exams

21 Nov 2017 Hits:84 Be the first to comment!

More or less 380 applicants took the qualifying exam conducted by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP-IX) at the Zamboanga State College of Marine Sciences and Technology, yesterday. District Fire Marshal, [...] Read more


Cops, probers undergo training on drug cases

21 Nov 2017 Hits:74 Be the first to comment!

Members of the local police, investigators and other law enforcement agencies undergo a two-day enhancement training on handling drug cases in a bid to ensure successful implementation of the war [...] Read more


Submarine cable landing stations to speed-up internet connectivity – DOST

21 Nov 2017 Hits:124 Be the first to comment!

The slow internet connection in the country may soon be a thing of the past. This was according to the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) as it welcomed the [...] Read more


LADY PANTHER WRESTLER… ERICA

20 Nov 2017 Hits:85 Be the first to comment!

Este si Erica Bataclan Martinez, su palayao “Ecang”, 17 años , 5’3” el altor,    Su mayores si Oscar B. Martinez y Lariza A. Bataclan Martinez, su hermano y hermana [...] Read more


FOOTBALL CHIEF… TENG

19 Nov 2017 Hits:80 Be the first to comment!

Este si VICENTE EDUARDO S. TORRES, ta llama conele “Teng/Pardz/Boboy”, 62 años de edad , casao y su esposa si Esther Facultad Torres Y diila anak si Pompeyo F. Torres [...] Read more


AboitizPower sustains strong foothold in hydropower business

18 Nov 2017 Hits:142 Be the first to comment!

On the back of a strong demand for renewable energy (RE), AboitizPower continues to ramp up its portfolio of generation facilities across the Philippines. AboitizPower's subsidiary, SN AboitizPower, has completed the [...] Read more


ZAMBOANGA FOOTBALL - ROLL D BALL

18 Nov 2017 Hits:91 Be the first to comment!

Del Nov. 12, 2017 Domingo el Segundo semana de Season long Zamboanga Football league. El primer juego tan feature cun Resto del Mundo contra  Zamboanga United . Ta pricura man [...] Read more


Police shift war on drugs to anti-gun-for-hire drive

17 Nov 2017 Hits:101 Be the first to comment!

Police regional director and vice chair of the Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC) for Western Mindanao Chief Supt. Billy Beltran announced recently that all police operatives previously assigned in [...] Read more


Military launch rescue ops for latest victims of ASG

17 Nov 2017 Hits:143 Be the first to comment!

Government troops are now conducting operations to rescue the six people, including two children, who have been abducted by about 15 suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits in Patikul, Sulu, according to [...] Read more