My Google Page Rank

NATO takes command of part of Libya operation

PDFPrintE-mail

BRUSSELS – NATO agreed late Thursday to take over part of the military operations against Libya — enforcement of the no-fly zone — after days of hard bargaining among its members. But the toughest and most controversial portion of the operation — attacks on the ground — will continue to be led by the U.S., which has been anxious to give up the lead role.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who announced the agreement in Brussels, said the alliance could eventually take more responsibility, "but that decision has not been reached yet." It appeared that some NATO members balked at any involvement in attacks on ground targets, something the alliance's sole Muslim member, Turkey, has resisted.

In Washington, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton praised NATO for taking over the no-fly zone, even though the U.S. had hoped the alliance would take full control of the military operation authorized by the United Nations, including the protection of Libyan civilians and supporting humanitarian aid efforts on the ground. The operation cost the U.S. close to $1 billion in less than a week, and has drawn criticism in Congress from members of both parties.

NATO said late Thursday that it expected to commence enforcement of the no-fly zone within two to three days. The operation will be commanded from Naples by Adm. Samuel J. Locklear.

NATO also agreed to launch military planning for a broader mandate, including a "no-drive" zone that would prevent Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's armor and artillery from moving against rebels his forces had been routing before the coalition's air assault began late last week.

"If we are led to hit tanks, it is because the tanks target the civilians," French President Nicolas Sarkozy said, adding that Gadhafi troops stationed tanks in neighborhoods to provoke civilian casualties.

The North Atlantic Council is scheduled to meet on Sunday to consider the broader plans.

"Without prejudging deliberations, I would expect a decision in coming days," Fogh Rasmussen said.

Diplomats also have drawn up plans to put political supervision of NATO's effort in the hands of a broader international coalition. U.S., European, and Arab and African officials have been invited to London next week to work out the details.

"The political coordination cannot be only NATO because there are countries there that are not members of NATO," Sarkozy said.

U.S. weapons are being used less frequently than they were when airstrikes began. French fighter jets used deep inside Libya on Thursday hit aircraft and a crossroads military base.

"Nearly all, some 75 percent of the combat air patrol missions in support of the no-fly zone, are now being executed by our coalition partners," Navy Vice Adm. William Gortney, told reporters Thursday at the Pentagon. Other countries were handling less than 10 percent of such missions Sunday, he said.
The U.S. will continue to fly combat missions as needed, but its role will mainly be in support missions such as refueling allied planes and providing aerial surveillance of Libya, Gortney said.

Allies have especially sought military assistance from Arab countries, seeking to avoid an all-Western military presence. Qatar is expected to begin flying air patrols this weekend, and on Thursday Clinton praised a second Arab nation, the United Arab Emirates, after it agreed to deploy 12 planes.

NATO's top decision-making body, the North Atlantic Council, had been struggling for six days to reach an agreement on using its military command and control capability to coordinate the operation in Libya.

Senior Obama administration officials said the breakthrough came in a four-way telephone call with Clinton and the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Turkey. The four worked out the way forward, which included the immediate transfer of command and control of the no-fly zone over Libya, and by early next week of the rest of the U.N.-mandated mission.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military planning, said the actual handover of the no-fly zone would occur in one or two days.

Turkey's parliament on Thursday authorized the government to participate in military operations in Libya, including the no-fly zone.

Libya's air force has been effectively neutralized. Briefing reporters in Tripoli late Thursday, Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim said no Libyan planes have been in the air since the no-fly zone was declared.

But the rebels demanding Gadhafi's ouster after 42 years in power remain less organized and less heavily armed than Gadhafi's forces, and they have had trouble taking full advantage of the international airstrikes. A U.N. arms embargo blocks the rebels and the government from getting more weapons.

The rebels were so strapped Thursday that they handed out sneakers — and not guns — at one of their checkpoints.

"We are facing cannons, T-72 and T-92 tanks, so what do we need? We need anti-tank weapons, things like that," said Col. Ahmed Omar Bani, a military spokesman told reporters in Benghazi, the de facto rebel capital.

The airstrikes may have prevented Gadhafi from quickly routing the rebels, whose control extends mainly to eastern portions of Libya. But the weakness of both sides could mean a long struggle for control of the country, and international support is not open-ended: French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said the international action would last days or possibly weeks, but not months.

Representatives for the regime and rebels were expected to attend an African Union meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on Friday, according to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who described it as a part of an effort to reach a cease-fire and political solution.

Ban said Gadhafi has ignored U.N. demands to declare a cease-fire and risks further Security Council action if he doesn't halt the violence. In his report to the 15-member council, Ban expressed concerns about Libya's precarious humanitarian situation, protection of civilians, and human rights abuses.

U.N. human rights experts said hundreds of people have disappeared in Libya over the past few months, and said there were fears that those who vanished were taken to secret locations to be tortured or executed. Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the International Criminal Court's prosecutor, said he was "100 percent" certain that his investigation into attacks on Libyan protesters will lead to crimes against humanity charges against the Gadhafi regime.

Ban, taking questions from reporters after the Security Council meeting, insisted that the resolutions intend to protect Libya's civilian population, not push Gadhafi from power.

"The primary aim is to provide protection for civilians, to save lives," Ban said. "It's not aiming to change any regime."

Sarkozy also said Gadhafi would not necessarily have to step down for the operation to end. "It is when Gadhafi forces go back to their barracks and the civilians would no longer be threatened," that the U.N. mandate would be completed, he said.

The French airstrikes hit a base about 250 kilometers (155 miles) south of the Libyan coastline, as well as a Libyan combat plane that had just landed outside the strategic city of Misrata, France's military said.

Kaim, the Libyan foreign minister, said no Libyan planes have flown since the no-fly zone began but that a plane might have been destroyed in an allied attack on an air base.

Kaim said earlier that the "military compound at Juffra" was among the targets hit. Juffra is one of at least two air bases deep in Libya's interior, on main routes that lead from neighboring countries in the Sahara region that have been suppliers of arms and fighters for the Gadhafi regime.

(AP writers Robert Burns and Erica Werner in Washington, Ryan Lucas in Benghazi, Libya, Hadeel Al-Shalchi in Tripoli, Libya, Ben Hubbard and Maggie Michael in Cairo, Jamey Keaten in Paris, Anita Snow at the United Nations, Suzan Fraser in Ankara and Alessandra Rizzo in Rome contributed to this report.)

By Slobodan Lekic




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Globe lands SEA-US cable system in Davao City; nears commercial operations

28 Mar 2017 Hits:46 Be the first to comment!

Globe Telecom successfully landed over the weekend the Southeast Asia-United States (SEA-US) submarine cable system, bringing the company one step closer towards the provision of richer and enhanced international connectivity to businesses in Davao and the rest of the country. “We are excited over this development since it won’t take long before we can finally address the rising demand for internet services from businesses in the Philippines,” said Mike Frausing, Globe Business Senior Advisor. “We are very near commercial operations.  Once it commences, the cable system will be able to provide greater route flexibility and better future support for bandwidth-dependent applications and services consistent with the growing trend of companies shifting their business critical operations to digital.” “The primary source of information [...] Read more

Prev Next Page:

Metro Manila residents feel safer; cops step up crime drive

28 Mar 2017 Hits:39 Be the first to comment!

At least 82 percent of Metro Manila residents feel safer in the streets due to the intensified police campaign against illegal drugs, a Pulse Asia survey shows. Pulse Asia randomly selected [...] Read more


SSS eyes mandatory OFW coverage

28 Mar 2017 Hits:41 Be the first to comment!

The state-run Social Security System said it is asking the help of lawmakers to implement the mandatory coverage of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) following its goal to expand its members’ [...] Read more


Students under SPES to help direct traffic flow - Jawo

28 Mar 2017 Hits:43 Be the first to comment!

The city government will use the services of students under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) to help in the implementation of the experimental traffic rerouting scheme. Traffic coordinator [...] Read more


(For effective traffic scheme:) Illegal parking not tolerated

28 Mar 2017 Hits:46 Be the first to comment!

Authorities warned motorists anew against illegal parking, particularly in light of the experimental traffic scheme currently being implemented. Executive Assistant Jawo Jimenez said owners of illegally parked vehicles will immediately receive [...] Read more


(TFZ change of command set today:) Beng cites Uy for efforts vs terrorism

28 Mar 2017 Hits:45 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco has cited Col. Juvymax Uy, outgoing commander of Task Force Zamboanga for his hardwork and efforts in maintaining peace and security in the city that resulted to [...] Read more


LIAC on transportation tackles traffic scheme, truck ban

25 Mar 2017 Hits:149 Be the first to comment!

The City Administrator’s Office on Thursday afternoon convened the Local Inter-Agency Committee (LIAC) on the Enforcement of Land Transportation Regulations to tackle pressing issues affecting traffic in the city’s main [...] Read more


Visually-impaired Dapilin graduates cum laude

25 Mar 2017 Hits:89 Be the first to comment!

A visually-impaired student from Basilan Province is graduating cum laude with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Education at the Western Mindanao State University (WMSU) on Wednesday, March 29. Abdulazis [...] Read more


Chides Magdalo men for being ‘cowards’

24 Mar 2017 Hits:118 Be the first to comment!

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday branded Vice President Leni Robredo as an enemy who was in a hurry to claim the presidency and described Senator Antonio Trillanes IV as “a [...] Read more


Globe equips Manila Science HS with 21st Century classroom

24 Mar 2017 Hits:91 Be the first to comment!

Globe Telecom and Habitat for Humanity officially turned over to Manila Science High School (MaSci) over the weekend a multifunctional Information and Communications Technology (ICT) laboratory with a collaborative working [...] Read more


WestMinCom troops honor fallen marine soldier

24 Mar 2017 Hits:96 Be the first to comment!

A fallen soldier from the Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT)-2, who was killed during a clash with communist rebels, was honored in a send-off ceremony before he was brought to [...] Read more


Six alleged drug pushers arrested

24 Mar 2017 Hits:93 Be the first to comment!

Six persons, including a minor, were arrested in a series of buy-bust operations conducted by the different police stations of the Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO), Wednesday. The Drug Enforcement Team [...] Read more


MGB-9 orders stoppage of illegal gold mining in Baliguian town

23 Mar 2017 Hits:90 Be the first to comment!

Local small-scale miners looking for gold ores were ordered to stop illegal mining activities in Pigbogololan area in the rural town of Baliguian, Zamboanga del Norte early this month after [...] Read more


Globe myBusiness gives tips to working in the comfort of your own home

23 Mar 2017 Hits:91 Be the first to comment!

Many business owners enjoy working from home, but there’s a challenge that automatically comes with it.  There are certainly many perks, like being in charge of your own time, dressing [...] Read more


Cocolisap funds await PCA, City Hall coordination gab

22 Mar 2017 Hits:84 Be the first to comment!

Funds to rehabilitate the coconut industry following the cocolisap devastation cannot be released as of yet until after the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) regional office 9 and the city government [...] Read more


Koko sees okay of free internet access, six key bills this year

22 Mar 2017 Hits:128 Be the first to comment!

Senate President Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III said Congress is expected to approve this year the bill on free internet access in all public places and six other key priority measures [...] Read more


Ateneo shines anew in Physician Licensure Exam

22 Mar 2017 Hits:132 Be the first to comment!

The Ateneo de Zamboanga University School of Medicine (ADZU-SOM) once again came up with an impressive performance during the recent Physician Licensure Examination (PLE) given by the Board of Medicine [...] Read more


Globe At Home Customers Meet the Cast of Wicked

21 Mar 2017 Hits:93 Be the first to comment!

The year is just beginning, but one of the highlights of 2017 is the staging of the Wicked, the West End musical, which transformed the Theatre at Solaire into the [...] Read more


Zambo harvests 80 gold medals in ZPRAA

21 Mar 2017 Hits:113 Be the first to comment!

The Zamboanga delegation ranked second in the secondary level and third in the elementary level in the recently concluded Zamboanga Peninsula Regional Athletic Association (ZPRAA) meet held in Dipolog City [...] Read more