Wednesday, 30 March 2011 16:17
Dapitan City - The people of Dapitan City and Zamboanga del Norte province are performing a miracle! This was the pronouncement made by Department of Education Secretary Armin Luistro in front of a throng of well-wishers, led by Governor Rolando Yebes and Palaro Executive Committee Chairman Romeo “Nonong” Jalosjos, during his arrival here for an ocular inspection of the facilities for the May 8-14 Palarong Pambansa.
After making an inspection of all the sports facilities right at the main venue for the national sports tournament, Luistro officially declared that the Palarong Pambansa will be held in Dapitan. His declaration met cheers among city and provincial officials.
“I think in your midst, I can make the quiet announcement that the Palarong Pambansa will be held in Dapitan City,” Luistro said.
Luistro said that this was his first visit to the would-be Palaro site and the second time for his Assistant Secretary Tonisito Umali.
“In the car on our way back from visiting the site, I asked Assistant Secretary Tony what he saw today compared to when he arrived here at first months ago. And our consensus is that the City of Dapitan, with the help of the provincial government and the people of Zamboanga del Norte, created a miracle. The miracle is not yet for public viewing, because it is still in its maiden stage and it will only be unveiled during the Palaro,” Luistro said.
He said that what impressed him even more of the whole situation, and which has further galvanized his resolve to host the Palaro here, is the support given by the government, specifically the Dapitan City and Zamboanga del Norte government to the activity.
“I say that come hell or high water, the Palaro will be staged here because as far as I can see, I think we are confident that everything is put in place. What I think worked is that the support was overwhelming. This Palaro is not just a project of the governor, or the congressman, or the city mayor. This is a project, a source of pride and excitement for all the people of Zanorte,” Luistro said. (Franklin Gumapon)
- 03/04/2011 20:56 - Paje fortifies anti- corruption program in DENR
- 03/04/2011 20:53 - by Ryan Nakashima and Mari Yamaguchi
- 03/04/2011 20:51 - Gadhafi: Leaders of airstrikes should go, not me
- 03/04/2011 20:49 - 'Let's respect rule of law' of other countries - SC
- 01/04/2011 12:39 - Military exercises strengthens RP-Malaysian relations
- 30/03/2011 16:16 - Flights normal, PAL assures public
- 30/03/2011 16:14 - Bayanihan drills save local family adrift in Tawi-Tawi sea
- 28/03/2011 16:04 - No Philippine ban on Japan food, except chocolate
- 28/03/2011 16:02 - Huge jump in radiation inside Japan nuclear plant
- 26/03/2011 15:17 - Gov’t to embark on nationwide info campaign on drug trafficking