Sunday, 10 April 2011 14:46
The WBO welterweight 12-round championship fight between Rep. Manny Pacquiao and black American knockout artist Sugar Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada will be promoter Bob Arum’s 1,760th world title promotion.
According to chief matchmaker Bruce Trampler, the 79-year-old Arum is now on his 45th year as boxing matchmaker and promoter
“Forty-five years is a good start. It’s been a lot of fun, and working with a great champion like Manny keeps me young,” Trampler quoted Arum as saying. The promoter “smiled as he looked at the schedule of upcoming bouts at his Top Rank office,” Trampler wrote in a fightnews.com article.
Trampler met Arum as the promoter was fresh from his three-day visit in Baguio City, Philippines where his richest and most popular ward, Pacquiao, has been training in the whole month of March.
He plans to pit Pacquiao against 135-lb king Juan Manuel Marquez in the final bout of their trilogy if the much-ballyhooed duel with Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not push through this year.
Arum believes that Pacquiao will easily dispatch the 39-year-old Mosley, who is the underdog for the first time in his career.
Aside from the Pacquiao-Mosley rumble, Arum, CEO of Las Vegas-based Top Rank, has a full schedule of action with 12 more shows slated through July. The have “upcoming cards on Showtime Pay Per View, HBO, Fox, and ESPN.”
Trampler said Arum’s company has promoted 1,759 fight cards in his 45 year-career, which began on this date in 1966 when Muhammad Ali outpointed George Chuvalo in Toronto. “The first fight I ever saw in person was the first Ali-Chuvalo heavyweight championship. Ali (27 fights), Marvelous Marvin Hagler (20), George Foreman (14), and Manny (15 so far) are just some of my favorite fighters,” Trampler quoted Arum as saying.
“We’ve done over 500 world title bouts, and Top Rank has promoted in 40 states, 200 American cities, and more than 60 cities outside the United States. Our company has ambitious plans for what we consider a very bright future in the sport of boxing.”
By Alex P. Vidal
- 13/04/2011 11:51 - Palace forms high-level crisis team to assist Filipinos in conflict areas abroad
- 12/04/2011 11:42 - Indonesia to host ASEAN Fair in November
- 12/04/2011 11:39 - Workers begin installing enclosures in Japan to prevent sea contamination
- 12/04/2011 11:16 - DOST-IX invites Inventors & Researchers to the Reg’l Invention Contests & Exhibits
- 11/04/2011 11:05 - Conditional cash transfer program extended assistance to 400,000 familes - Coloma
- 10/04/2011 14:44 - DOT conducts basic tourism statistics training
- 10/04/2011 14:42 - Spend Holy Week doing charitable works, says prelate
- 08/04/2011 12:33 - Binay facilitates repatriation of overstaying OFWs?
- 08/04/2011 12:32 - DOLE confers award on first Pinay to pass Japan nursing exam
- 08/04/2011 12:31 - I aim to shock the world and beat Pacquiao, vows Mosley