Monday, 11 April 2011 11:05
The government’s intensified conditional cash transfer (CCT) program has already extended assistance to 400,000 families as it pursues its economic and social reforms to alleviate the condition of impoverished families.
In an interview over Radyo ng Bayan, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio “Sonny” Coloma said the CCT’s program of Malacanang through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is fast evolving as a strategy to immediately mitigate the burden of the poor families amid the global crisis.
Coloma attributed the significant positive result to the initiative of the Palace to allocate P21 billion for CCT program, known locally as the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program, for 2011.
The cash transfer program directly addresses the poverty problem, giving an average impoverished family a significant boost in annual income.
Apart from significant increases in school enrolment of poor children, the program improves the number of child immunization and prenatal medical care.
“Providing immediate financial help and attention to those families who are in dire need remains a top priority of President Aquino’s administration,” said Coloma.
The government expanded the coverage of the CCT program to reach out to more poor families across the country.
“This is the first time that we have an extensive coverage of CCT. We have come out a way to identify only legitimate beneficiaries. The government identifies legitimate beneficiaries, determines where they live and where their children are studying, to make sure that we can give the cash assistance the soonest time under CCT program,” he said.
The intention of the CCT program is not only to give solution in the short run but also to frame concrete solutions in the long run.
- 13/04/2011 11:53 - ‘Let us learn from our veterans,’ says Aquino
- 13/04/2011 11:51 - Palace forms high-level crisis team to assist Filipinos in conflict areas abroad
- 12/04/2011 11:42 - Indonesia to host ASEAN Fair in November
- 12/04/2011 11:39 - Workers begin installing enclosures in Japan to prevent sea contamination
- 12/04/2011 11:16 - DOST-IX invites Inventors & Researchers to the Reg’l Invention Contests & Exhibits
- 10/04/2011 14:46 - Pacquiao-Mosley duel is Arum’s 1,760th world title promotion
- 10/04/2011 14:44 - DOT conducts basic tourism statistics training
- 10/04/2011 14:42 - Spend Holy Week doing charitable works, says prelate
- 08/04/2011 12:33 - Binay facilitates repatriation of overstaying OFWs?
- 08/04/2011 12:32 - DOLE confers award on first Pinay to pass Japan nursing exam