Wednesday, 13 April 2011 11:58
President Benigno S. Aquino III reiterated his call for the 80 million Filipino cellular phone users to text vote for the Puerto Princesa Underground River (PPUR) and help push the country’s bid for a spot in the search for the New Seven Wonders of Nature title.
The Chief Executive made the pitch for the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park (PPSRNP) at the sidelight of his speech during the 10th Student Catholic Action of the Philippines (SCAP) National Leadership Conference Monday morning at the Fleurde-lis Theater of St. Paul University in Malate, Manila.
“I need your help. I need text votes so that the Palawan underground river will be proclaimed as one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature,” the President said as he urged the teachers and students present during the SCAP conference to take part in the government’s campaign to promote Palawan’s Underground River.
He noted that the Philippines has 80 million cell phones and one text vote for every cell phone user is really essential for the PPSRNP to win in the wonders of nature title. “Just TEXT PPUR and send it to 2861,” he stressed.
Puerto Princesa’s Underground River is one of the finalists competing with 28 other sites for the New 7 Wonders of Nature title.
The PPSRNP, formerly St. Paul Subterranean National Park, is located at Sitio Sabang, Barangay Cabayugan, in the Midwest coast of Palawan and some 81 kilometers northwest of Puerto Princesa City.
PPSRNP is reputed to be the longest navigable underground river in the world at a length of 8.2 kilometers that winds through spectacular limestone formations before emptying out into the South China Sea.
In 1999, the park was declared as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Natural World Heritage Site. It was also proclaimed “National Geological Monument” in the year 2003 by the National Committee on Geological Sciences.
- 14/04/2011 11:17 - Ochoa: Palace to build 20,000 houses for PNP, AFP personnel
- 14/04/2011 11:16 - DOH, Philhealth distribute 17,100 PhilHealth cards in ZamboSur
- 14/04/2011 11:15 - Alcala allays fears over shrinking rice supply
- 14/04/2011 11:14 - Gov’t steps up campaign to eliminate rice wastage
- 14/04/2011 11:13 - Sulu Gov't wins coveted Philippine Web Awards 2011
- 13/04/2011 11:57 - DSWD trains volunteers of poor KALAHI-CIDSS towns to sustain empowerment, development
- 13/04/2011 11:56 - Japan to raise nuke accident severity level to highest 7 from 5
- 13/04/2011 11:53 - ‘Let us learn from our veterans,’ says Aquino
- 13/04/2011 11:51 - Palace forms high-level crisis team to assist Filipinos in conflict areas abroad
- 12/04/2011 11:42 - Indonesia to host ASEAN Fair in November