Thursday, 14 April 2011 11:17
Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. on Tuesday said the Aquino Administration will earmark P4.2 billion to build 20,000 houses for low-salaried members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and Philippine National Police (PNP) as part of improving the welfare of government employees.
Ochoa said President Benigno Aquino III signed Administrative Order No. 9 on April 11, creating the AFP/PNP Housing Project, which involves the provision of permanent shelters for soldiers and policemen who will qualify under the beneficiaries selection criteria of the program.
“It is the policy of this administration to improve the welfare of government employees, including military and police personnel,” the Executive Secretary said.
“Providing decent and affordable shelter to soldiers and policemen is one way to carry out such policy, as we are aware that despite sincere efforts there are still a large number of military and police personnel whose need for housing provision must be urgently attended to,” Ochoa added.
Through this affordable and decent housing program, the administration hopes to give the military and police personnel, who put their lives at risk to uphold the laws of the land and maintain peace and order in the country, what is due them, he said.
Under AO 9, the National Housing Authority (NHA) takes the lead in the implementation of the housing program, which funding will also come from the housing authority.
Executive Order No. 90, put in place in December 1986, designates the NHA as responsible for the implementation of the government’s socialized housing under the National Shelter Program.
In line with this, the President’s directive orders the NHA to formulate, implement and manage the housing program for low-income armed forces and police personnel. (PCOO/PIA9-BaSulTa)
- 14/04/2011 11:26 - DAR steps up land distribution program
- 14/04/2011 11:25 - Indonesia moving to join IMT on Mindanao peace efforts
- 14/04/2011 11:23 - Malaysian deputy defense minister conveys hope for peace in Mindanao
- 14/04/2011 11:22 - Mindanao Examiner streams 70 online radio, tv broadcasts
- 14/04/2011 11:21 - NCMF recogizes Osmena, Querol as 'sultans' of Cebu & Panay
- 14/04/2011 11:16 - DOH, Philhealth distribute 17,100 PhilHealth cards in ZamboSur
- 14/04/2011 11:15 - Alcala allays fears over shrinking rice supply
- 14/04/2011 11:14 - Gov’t steps up campaign to eliminate rice wastage
- 14/04/2011 11:13 - Sulu Gov't wins coveted Philippine Web Awards 2011
- 13/04/2011 11:58 - Aquino reiterates calls for text vote for Palawan's Underground River