Monday, 25 April 2011 14:44
“The project will soon provide farmers with readily available corn seeds at the right place and time” says Hon. Francisvic S. Villamero, Municipal Mayor of Tukuran, in Zamboanga del Sur.
Mayor Villamero who is concerned of his farmer constituents due to the scarcity of corn seeds has instructed his Municipal Agriculturist Haydee F. Corpuz and Mr. Solomon E. Dolor to order 20 bags of corn seeds from the Department of Agriculture-Western Mindanao Integrated Agricultural Research Center (DA-WESMIARC) in Sanito, Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay.
The seeds were given to the Farmers Associations (FAs) from the different corn-growing barangays of Tukuran. These are intended for wet season cropping starting this month through their Memorandum of Agreement. The project was dubbed as “Binhian sa Barangay” that will soon cater the seed requirements of corn farmers at the barangay level and to encourage more farmers to plant corn particularly the white open-pollinated variety for human consumption.
To ensure the success of the project, the Agri-Pinoy Corn Banner Program conducted a one-day training on Corn Seed Production Technology. The training was attended by a total of 30 interested corn-farmers who were mostly president and members of different FAs from their respective barangays.
The training was facilitated by Mr. Felizardo M. Salomes, Regional Corn Coordinator. He said “the training will help farmers understand the technicalities in producing corn seeds of good quality and with high degree of genetic purity.”
Resource persons include Rosavilla B. Ragay, Sr. Agriculturist of the National Seed Quality Control Services, Regional Seed Testing Laboratory based in Ipil, Carlito A. Larubis, DA Provincial Agricultural Coordinator for Zamboanga del Sur, and Delia Rodriguez of the DA 9 Corn Program. They were assisted by Agricultural technicians Virgilio O. Pilar, Edwin E. Jocson, Clarita P. Verallo and Linda S. Poloyapoy from the LGU.
Topics of the training include: Qualities of a Good Seed Producer, Environmental Requirements for Corn Seed Production, Choice of Site, Choice of Variety, Isolation, Factors Affecting Isolation, Field Inspection, Roguing, Cultural Management Practices, Harvesting, Seed Processing and Storing. (DA-RAFID9)
- 28/04/2011 12:30 - GPH, MILF anti-crime body to start working soon
- 26/04/2011 10:50 - Aquino confident the country will overcome Calvary of corruption
- 26/04/2011 10:50 - JBC begins screening 27 aspirants for 2 SC posts
- 25/04/2011 14:45 - E Kalimantan has 1,725 HIV/AIDS cases
- 25/04/2011 14:45 - House passes bill granting athlete benefits
- 25/04/2011 14:44 - DOE asks Malampaya consortium to sell excess gas
- 25/04/2011 14:44 - Easter calls Christians to a renewed way of life — Cardinal
- 25/04/2011 14:43 - Japan, China, S. Korea trade ministers meet over quake, investment
- 25/04/2011 14:43 - 6 OFWs rescued from war-torn Libyan city
- 25/04/2011 14:43 - Pianist gets death sentence for murder