Friday, 29 April 2011 14:14
PAGADIAN CITY – To protect the youth from indulging in illegal drugs, alcohol, and tobacco and other vices, the local government unit (LGU) of San Pablo, Zamboanga Del Sur has recently launched it’s second year of basketball tournament dubbed as “2nd Councilor’s Cup at the municipal gym.
Mayor Belman Mantos said the ‘councilor’s cup’ which started last year, is part of the LGU’s Youth and Sports Development Program thru the Sangguniang Bayan (SB) as lead office.
The ‘councilor’s cup’, chaired by SB member Joey Gonzales, Mantos said is open to boys age 18 years old and below. “Under this event, we give priority to players on the age bracket because we recognize them as our active partners in sports,’ Mantos added.
Mantos said after a successful 1st “councilor’s cup” last year, the SB officials have decided to pursue the program for it greatly developed and enhanced the basketball skills of young players.
“The council has observed that the event indeed , was the most effective way to prevent alcohol and drug abuse among our youth,” Mantos explained.
“We did not see, or hear, of any player taking drugs because they considered basketball as their source of motivation and inspiration and they have already strengthened their public confidence,” Mantos said.
Sangguniang kabataan federation president Julbrian C. Mantos said with the sports event, he has observed that they were able to organize teams from the 28 barangays. He also noticed that the number of teams participating have increased from 5 teams in 2010 to 9 teams in 2011, which composed of SK officials and out-of-school youths.
The SK president said during this summer, they (players) spend more time playing basketball .
“None of us have been tempted to go on illegal drugs, and other vices because our time is mainly focused on practice. We wanted to be lucky basketball stars,” Julbrian said.
Julbrian has considered the ‘councilor’s cup” as a laudable project.
Julbrian said the top three teams are now well prepared and come ready to play in the championship game on Friday.
Prizes are as follows: 1st place P4, 000, 2nd – 3,000, and third – 2,000 and trophies and a consolation prize for each non-winning team. (Gideon C. Corgue-JPA/PIA9-Pagadian City)
- 02/05/2011 11:52 - Thousands attend Labor Day celebration
- 30/04/2011 11:51 - Trapping threatens near extinct Philippine eagle
- 30/04/2011 11:50 - Ombudsman submits resignation to PNoy
- 29/04/2011 14:16 - Una invitacion con los compoblanos de Zamboanga
- 29/04/2011 14:15 - PhilAm provides education opportunities despite conflict
- 28/04/2011 12:32 - Appointments of new 17 career foreign service ambassadors is for national interest – Palace
- 28/04/2011 12:32 - No need to excommunicate PNoy, says Catholic prelate
- 28/04/2011 12:32 - DFA allows passport extension for delayed releases
- 28/04/2011 12:31 - Houseflies aid rescuers in locating bodies in landslide
- 28/04/2011 12:30 - Peace groups hold rallies in Mindanao supporting GPH-MILF talks