Monday, 02 May 2011 11:52
The Zamboanga City Labor Sector Representative has revealed that an estimated 3,000 workers from Zamboanga City have attended the Labor Day Celebration Program spearheaded by the Department of Labor and Employment IX (DOLE) yesterday morning at the Western Mindanao State University (WMSU) Gymnasium.
Most of the participants were job seekers who participated during the yearly Labor Day Jobs Fair while the others were spectators coming from different companies.
The theme for this year's celebration of Labor Day is "Matuwid na Daan Tungo sa Kaunlaran Para sa Lahat". The guest speaker was Engineer Nelson Ramirez, the President of the United Filipino Seafarers.
After the program, the Job Fair was formally opened by the guest speaker. Assistant City Administrator Elmeir Apolinario who represented Mayor Celso Lobregat, Zamboanga City, Labor Sector Representative Jose Suan and DOLE Regional Director Ponciano Ligutom also attended the activities.
During the Jobs Fair, a total of 20,000 jobs were made available. 18,568 for overseas while 1,432 local jobs. There were 26 employers for overseas who participated while 49 employers for local.
Zamboanga City Labor sector representative Jose Suan wished that jobs will be preserved and the management would grant the request of the workers.
He said that the wage increase is now needed because the purchasing power of the peso eroded and the inflation rate has increased to 5.8%. “what we want is real increase that the workers can survive.”
The wage board is scheduled to conduct a meeting today before conducting several public hearings in places including Zamboanga, Sibugay, Dipolog, and Isabela.
The workers, according to Suan, will be asking for an increase of P75.00. "However this can still be lowered." He said.
As per the last wage order, workers in the private sector will receive P255 per day which took effect last September 9, 2010.
By R.G. Antonet Go
- 06/05/2011 13:16 - Mindanao firms highlighted at IFEX 2011
- 04/05/2011 11:31 - Chiz bats for review of Labor Code
- 04/05/2011 11:30 - WMSU-CCJE dean organizes specialists on questioned documents
- 04/05/2011 11:26 - ZCWD “greens” buffer zone of the watershed
- 02/05/2011 11:53 - Zambowood students grateful for Fabian's uniform donation
- 30/04/2011 11:51 - Trapping threatens near extinct Philippine eagle
- 30/04/2011 11:50 - Ombudsman submits resignation to PNoy
- 29/04/2011 14:16 - Una invitacion con los compoblanos de Zamboanga
- 29/04/2011 14:15 - PhilAm provides education opportunities despite conflict
- 29/04/2011 14:14 - Basketball Tourney for the youth, OSYs launched