Wednesday, 04 May 2011 11:26
On April 27 this year, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources launched the “National Year of Forests” to support the National Greening Program of the government and the United Nation’s Declaration of 2011 as the International Year of Forests. The goal to plant 1.5 billion seedlings from 2011 to 2016 is a must-do program of the government to grow back the lost forest cover.
Recognizing the significance of this program and the importance of forest cover in the lives of the city’s constituents, the Zamboanga City Water District just planted 5,300 seedlings of narra and lawaan trees at Sitio Sta. Clara and Sito Cabonegro in Barangay Tolosa on April 15, 28 and 29. The activity, which was participated in by around 100 employees and workers of the water district, including Chairman Milagros L. Fernandez, Director Efren F. Arañez, Director Edwin M. Caliolio, GM Leonardo Rey D. Vasquez, and AGM Alejo S. Rojas, Jr. It is also part of the water district’s effort to enhance capacity of the watershed considering future demand for potable from the city’s increasing population.
Travel to and from the area was not easy at all because of the bad and slippery road condition brought by the early rain shower last Thursday and Friday. Bravo to all the “tried and tested” drivers of the water district who skilfully maneuvered the old 4 x 4 pick-up, hummer and dump truck. The efforts of AGM Rojas and the men and women of the Operations Group who prepared/cleared the area where the tree planting activity was done are truly admirable and highly appreciated. Except for Chairman Fernandez, all participants stayed overnight at the Cabonegro Biodiversity Monitoring Station.
This writer, with the assistance of Ron de Jesus from the Meter Section, is proud to have planted a hundred seedlings during the two-day activity. (ZCWD-MSD/Ding Camba).
Approved for release:
Leonardo Rey D. Vasquez
- 09/05/2011 12:43 - PDEA, PNP Dipolog scores anew, former City Councilor Falls
- 07/05/2011 15:02 - Casimiro takes over Gutierrez as Ombudsman
- 06/05/2011 13:16 - Mindanao firms highlighted at IFEX 2011
- 04/05/2011 11:31 - Chiz bats for review of Labor Code
- 04/05/2011 11:30 - WMSU-CCJE dean organizes specialists on questioned documents
- 02/05/2011 11:53 - Zambowood students grateful for Fabian's uniform donation
- 02/05/2011 11:52 - Thousands attend Labor Day celebration
- 30/04/2011 11:51 - Trapping threatens near extinct Philippine eagle
- 30/04/2011 11:50 - Ombudsman submits resignation to PNoy
- 29/04/2011 14:16 - Una invitacion con los compoblanos de Zamboanga