Tuesday, 10 May 2011 12:13
Jakarta - President Benigno S. Aquino III said on Saturday that Filipinos who wish to avail of the government’s rice subsidy program will have to pass through a household pre-determining system to ensure that only those who really need the staple will receive it.
This way, the government’s pro-poor food program will be used more effectively, the President told members of the Malacanang Press Corps at an informal press briefing at the Four Seasons Hotel here.
“(Filipinos who wish to avail of) our rice subsidy will have to pass through the government’s National Household Targeting System,” the President said.
He added that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) will be the lead agency to distribute the rice.
“With the DSWD at the helm of distributing rice, only qualified Filipino households and individuals who really needed the staple would be able to get it,” the President said.
He likened the government’s rice subsidy program to another government subsidy program: the Pantawid Pasada program for members of the transportation sector.
"So just like the distribution of fuel under our Pantawid Pasada Program… those drivers with transportation franchises and tricycles pre-determined by their respective LGUs (local government units) would be given fuel subsidies,” the President said.
The Pantawid Pasada Program, also known as the Public Transport Assistance Program (PTAP), is contained in the President’s Executive Order No. 3 that will provide around 214,596 jeepney drivers nationwide with smart cards pre-loaded with P1,050, an amount equivalent to a fuel assistance of P35 per day for one whole month. (PNA)
- 12/05/2011 13:12 - Death toll from Japan quake nears 15,000
- 12/05/2011 13:12 - Soldiers can now avail of affordable homes
- 12/05/2011 13:11 - Batch '96 is the champ! By Miguel C. Liozo, Jr.
- 10/05/2011 12:14 - Aquino bares five-fold increase in ADB-funded E-Strike production
- 10/05/2011 12:14 - Indonesian government keen on adopting 'Pantawid Pasada' Program
- 10/05/2011 12:11 - PNP nabs ‘Sayyaf’ man in Manila mall
- 10/05/2011 12:10 - Aquino allays rumors of Cabinet revamp
- 10/05/2011 12:09 - Phl open skies policy, a step towards connectivity plan in region - ASEAN
- 09/05/2011 12:45 - DFA chief pushes for PHL initiatives in achieving ASEAN Community in preparatory meetings
- 09/05/2011 12:44 - Bin Laden 'lived for 5 years in Pakistan house'