Thursday, 26 May 2011 14:51
Department of Justice (DOJ) Undersecretary Francisco “Toti” Baraan III on Tuesday bared that the spread of illegal drugs, liquors and prostitution in the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP) compound, in Muntinlupa City is rampant.
Baraan said that “heads will roll” once it is proven that Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) officials are involved.
The BuCor is an attached agency of the DOJ which has administrative control and supervision over the NBP and all penal colonies in the country.
Baraan said that the DOJ had recently discovered that illegal drugs and prostitution were just as widespread behind bars as they are outside the NBP.
DOJ Secretary Leila De Lima had earlier ordered an investigation into complaints that illegal drugs are being smuggled inside the NBP and that officials are not acting on it.
Baraan said that illegal drugs and prostitution have penetrated the NBP and that “pot sessions” are allegedly also being held inside the national penitentiary.
As the DOJ investigates the “vacation” of convicted killer former Batangas Gov. Jose Antonio Leviste, Baraan pointed out that “inquiries should also be pursued against the erring jail guards and officials on drugs and prostitution issues.”
Leviste was convicted of killing his long time aide Rafael delas Alas.
Baraan said that the DOJ will conduct a reorganization of jail guards mainly at the NBP’s maximum security compound.
He added that the shake-up is important in order to weed out those who have allegedly allowed and tolerated the entry of illegal drugs and prostitution at the penal facility.
During the watch of former BuCor Director Oscar Calderon, several prisoners were caught sniffing “shabu” inside convicted killer Rolito Go’s cell at the maximum security compound.
The prisoners were caught in possession of shabu and cellular phones in a surprise inspection done by prison officials.
Go was convicted of killing Eldon Maguan during a traffic altercation in Greenhills, San Juan City, Metro Manila.
Go, who was sentenced to jail over 10 years ago, was once kicked out of the NBP and transferred to Abuyug penal colony in Leyte during the time of former BuCor chief Dionisio Santiago.
The action was made after Go’s co-inmates and compound employees petitioned for his transfer.
However, Go was returned to the NBP compound in 2008.
Under the NBP rules, inmates are not allowed to have cellular phones and other electronic gadgets. (PNA/PIA9-BST)
- 28/05/2011 00:00 - TESDA-accredited workers to get promotion, salary increase - Villanueva
- 27/05/2011 13:50 - Beng supports ‘Brigada Eskwela’ program
- 27/05/2011 13:50 - China drought impact widens, reaching Shanghai
- 27/05/2011 13:49 - Kidnapped trader freed in Mindanao
- 26/05/2011 14:52 - Archbishop calls for sobriety on RH bill issue
- 26/05/2011 14:51 - Mindanao fruit, veggie growers now earn better, says GEM
- 26/05/2011 14:51 - RH bill not USAID deal – Coloma
- 26/05/2011 14:50 - Aquino directs concerned government agencies to ensure ‘zero casualty’ during a typhoon
- 26/05/2011 14:49 - STI College conducts intensive BSN skills enhancement training
- 25/05/2011 12:10 - Ombudsman orders filing of criminal raps vs. Customs police director