Tuesday, 07 June 2011 13:13
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. goaded the government information officers (GIOs) attending the recently concluded journalistic writing seminar at Dakak Park and Beach resort in Dapitan City to write responsibly.
In a message he sent to PIA-IX regional director Noemi B. Edaga, Secretary Coloma urged the information officers of the different government offices “to inform, educate, mobilize, and encourage people to actualize their fullest potentials.”
Coloma said that “writing is a talent and a gift,” and so it must be used “responsibly, humbly, and with affection.”
His message, which was placed in a VTR, was played before the participants composed of information officers from the national government agencies and local government units throughout region 9 including the provinces of Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi.
He also called on the GIOs “to write about truth and goodness and help enable fellow Filipinos to become the best human beings that they can be.”
The writing workshop was initiated by the regional office of the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) in region 9 headed by Director Noemi B. Edaga in coordination with the Mindanao Communicators Network (MCN) to enhance the knowledge and skills of the GIOs in writing press releases about the programs, projects, policies, and accomplishments of their respective agencies.
Two practicing media men from the Philippine Daily Inquirer (PDI) served as main lecturers during the training. PDI Mindanao bureau chief Nestor Alconaba Jr. lectured about effective newswriting and feature writing while PDI photojournalist Niño Jesus Orbeta gave a lecturer on photojournalism.
Other resource persons who came over were MCN founder and former PIA deputy director-general Leo J. Omoso, who discussed the creation of MCN; Eva Gonzales of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) and Rhodel Valdes of Phil Web who talked on “Premyo sa Resibo” project; Director Adriano D. Fuego of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD)-IX on Disaster Risk Reduction Management (DRRM) implementation, PIA-XI regional director Efren Elbanbuena on media relations; and Rocky Dimaculangan, public affairs director of TVI Resource (Phils) on responsible mining.
Around 60 participants from all over the region attended said training which started May 31-June 3.
(Franklin P. Gumapon - PIA9- ZdN/BST)
- 10/06/2011 13:05 - Lawmakers want probe on PLDT-Digitel merger
- 10/06/2011 13:05 - English Proficiency in Southeast Asia: Singapore ranks 1st; the Philippines, 2nd; Malaysia, 3rd
- 09/06/2011 13:04 - Basilan livestock, poultry farmers benefit from VetCAP
- 09/06/2011 13:03 - DOH asks public to continue anti- dengue efforts as cases near 25,000
- 09/06/2011 13:02 - Mindanao local investments upbeat in 2010
- 07/06/2011 13:12 - WMSU High School joins Regional Camp Blog 1F 2011
- 05/06/2011 20:38 - House okays bill seeking to cleanse national voters' list
- 05/06/2011 20:37 - School Gardens to open this June
- 05/06/2011 20:36 - Discussion ongoing for Roxas' official title and functions, says Ochoa
- 03/06/2011 15:18 - 60 Zambo orphans help clean up Lumbangan river