Thursday, 09 June 2011 13:04
Isabela City, Basilan – Some 111 livestock and poultry farmers in Basilan benefit from the joint Veterinary Civic Action program (VetCAP) series conducted recently in Sumisip and Tipo-Tipo towns.
Provincial Veterinarian Dr. Surhayda Aguisanda reported that the activity provided animal health services to livestock and poultry farmers such as de-worming, multi-vitamins and minerals supplementation, and treatment of diseases.
Farmer beneficiaries of Sumisip and Tipo-Tipo were grateful for the rare opportunity to learn more improved ways to take care of their animals.
Livestock owners said that the activity will definitely improve animal health and may result to improved productivity and profitability—the good news that farmers look forward to in improving their standard of living.
Aguisanda said the VetCap in Sumisip on May 24 and 26, and in Tipo-Tipo on May 28 were able to serve some 698 heads of livestock, poultry, and pets, to include cattles (114), carabao (13), swine (290), dogs (71), goat (129), poultry (75), horse (1), and cats (5).
Aguisanda said the activity was made possible through the help and support of the Joint Special Operation Task Force-Philippine (JSOTF-P)-Civil Affairs Team under the leadership of Capt. Chris Zimmer and Dr. Don Beckett (a US veterinarian) and Dr. Angelito Borja (a Filipino veterinarian).
With the unstable peace and order situation of the area, the Veterinary office also conducted a basic hands-on training to selected personnel of the Armed Forces of the Phillippines assigned in critical areas so that future VetCAP services can be channeled through them.
“What they learned, they can teach their fellow soldiers in the AFP. And it’s great to see them carrying a drenching gun & syringes, de-worming & treating animals,” Aquisanda said, noting the mobility of soldiers.
The veterinary office also thanked the military for the support especially in providing security to the group. AFP officials present were Battalion Commander LTC. Armand Arevalo (INF) PA, LTC. Iasias Claros (INF) PA, and CMO-Officer 1Lt. Glendon C. Hubag (INF) PA.
The activity was also supported by the local government units of Tipo-Tipo and Sumisip through their respective agriculture officers Anwar Marzuk and Engr. Antonio Locson. (RVC-PIA9 BaSulTa)
- 14/06/2011 12:02 - Zambo Norte, Sibugay - Priority target of DA’s Gulayan sa Paaralan in region 9
- 13/06/2011 12:56 - “My Happy Trip"
- 10/06/2011 13:06 - CICT enjoins everyone to celebrate National ICT Month
- 10/06/2011 13:05 - Lawmakers want probe on PLDT-Digitel merger
- 10/06/2011 13:05 - English Proficiency in Southeast Asia: Singapore ranks 1st; the Philippines, 2nd; Malaysia, 3rd
- 09/06/2011 13:03 - DOH asks public to continue anti- dengue efforts as cases near 25,000
- 09/06/2011 13:02 - Mindanao local investments upbeat in 2010
- 07/06/2011 13:13 - Coloma to govt. info officers: Be responsible writers
- 07/06/2011 13:12 - WMSU High School joins Regional Camp Blog 1F 2011
- 05/06/2011 20:38 - House okays bill seeking to cleanse national voters' list