Friday, 17 June 2011 12:41
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday assured that everything is under control and all is peaceful nationwide despite a travel warning by the United States to its citizens who are in the country.
AFP spokesman Commodore Miguel Jose Rodriguez told AFP beat reporters they have not monitored any specific threat posed anywhere in the country.
“However, the AFP would remain vigilant and continue its efforts and preparedness in preventing any violence from happening that can harm the people,” Rodriguez said, when asked by journalists at his office in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City.
Rodriguez also said the AFP maintains its coordination and information sharing with other concerned law enforcers and security forces, particularly with the PNP.
“In accordance with the Internal Peace and Security (IPSP) Bayanihan, we shall maintain our proactive stance and vigilance as we intensify further our intelligence collection effort and reinforce our intelligence network with concerned agencies and entities,” Rodriguez said.
He added the AFP will continue to exhaust all measures to provide a safe and secure environment for all the peace loving Filipino citizens.
For his part, PNP chief Director General Raul Bacalzo also said they have monitored “no specific terrorist threats in the country” despite the renewed travel warning by the United States Wednesday.
“So far, our intelligence monitoring has yielded no specific threats,” Bacalzo told reporters in an ambush interview at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City.
Bacalzo said they have been on heightened alert after classes started last week. He said that security measures were also in place in case of terrorist attacks but stressed that they have not received any information on certain areas which may be at risk from activities by any terror groups.
Bacalzo said they have also been working with the Western Mindanao Command of the AFP in their operations against terrorists and kidnappers in the area.
The travel advisory, dated June 14, and which replaced the travel warning issued last November 2, 2010, warned Americans of traveling to the Philippines, particularly the areas of the Sulu Archipelago and Mindanao.
It also stated that “terrorist attacks could be indiscriminate and could occur in other areas, to include Manila.” (PNA)
- 22/06/2011 13:35 - IRSMP readies Week of Peace 2011
- 21/06/2011 11:18 - Beng asks youth: Learn from Rizal’s examples
- 21/06/2011 11:16 - American Field Service Local Chapter extends Love to Layag-layag
- 21/06/2011 11:16 - Internal Peace and Security Plan shared to IRSMP
- 20/06/2011 00:00 - National Renewable Energy Program is a step towards energy self-sufficiency, says Aquino
- 17/06/2011 12:41 - Palace welcomes China’s statement on Spratly row
- 17/06/2011 12:41 - National Youth Commission warns Facebook users
- 17/06/2011 12:40 - Pope appoints as bishops 3 Filipino prelates
- 14/06/2011 12:07 - PHL, China discuss ways to strengthen bilateral economic ties
- 14/06/2011 12:07 - Police, PDEA net drug pushers in Dipolog