Wednesday, 22 June 2011 13:35
The Interreligious Solidarity Movement for Peace (IRSMP), fast growing society of peace advocates in Mindanao through its Secretariat, Peace Advocates Zamboanga (PAZ) convened its important stakeholders in the monthly meeting held last June 18, 2011 at Solidarity Center, RT Lim Boulevard, Zamboanga City.
In its regular meeting, Lead Convenor Fr. Angel C. Calvo, CMF shared significant updates about the movement’s line of operation highlighting the preparation for the Mindanao Week of Peace 2011. It had been an opportunity to inform the movement of the significant activities for the past months that had flourished 2011 and symbolically inspires all for the next celebration.
The Week of Peace was initiated by Peace Advocates Zamboanga together with SALAM Foundation in 1997. It had snowballed into a Mindanao Wide Celebration as officially adopted by the Bishops Ulama Conference. The BUC, for many years had been spearheading the release of the theme of the said peace celebration.
The IRSMP became the lead movement that conducts the celebration in Zamboanga City in collaboration with important sectors and institutions. Recently, the City Government of Zamboanga City issued the permit for the Opening Parade on November 24, 2011 from Pettit Barracks to Don Joaquin F. Enriquez Memorial Sports Complex.
Sustaining the peace process and its dynamics within the grassroots and other communities will be the focal theme in the celebration of the week of peace. The members identified important activities that will be included in the official calendar to wit an important recognition of significant Muslim and Christian Leaders since 1970 that had remarkably foster solidarity and harmony and developed Zamboanga City.
Moreover, the Peace Weaver Awards night will honor significant individuals and institutions who had contributed greatly to the cause of peace and it includes farmers, fisher folks, drivers and other individuals.
This year celebration will heighten the involvement of the peace process as an issue that will be addressed in peace forum. “It is but a hope to bring MILF and GPH Panel together” disclosed Mr. Armand Borromeo of the Commission on Human Rights.
Meanwhile, Grand Marshall Mr. Audesti Miguel of CHR expressed excitements for this year’s celebration as the committee for the parades will be engaging once again the Zamboanga City Police Office, task Force Zamboanga and Armed Forces of the Philippines and other important groups.
Other important recommendations includes the annual Musical peace festival with new activities song writing and musical composition for peace, the “Flavor for Peace”, a cooking for peace contest among parents, singing contest for senior citizens as well as peace caravans from the 98 barangays.
The Convener of the IRSMP will be meeting next month to better prepare the other activities of the organization especially the celebration of the Mindanao Week of Peace. With the initial preparation, the movement would like to invite everyone to be part in this years celebration of peace.
By Aldrin B. Abdurahim
- 23/06/2011 14:08 - Mindanao Peace Weavers heightens Local Peace Programs
- 23/06/2011 14:07 - Tausug Team Visiting China to Renew Ancient Ties
- 23/06/2011 14:06 - TESDA’s skills showdown impresses Pagadian mayor, public
- 22/06/2011 13:36 - Don Pablo Lorenzo Memorial High School implements foreign language
- 22/06/2011 13:35 - DTI to consumers: handle broken CFLs with caution
- 21/06/2011 11:18 - Beng asks youth: Learn from Rizal’s examples
- 21/06/2011 11:16 - American Field Service Local Chapter extends Love to Layag-layag
- 21/06/2011 11:16 - Internal Peace and Security Plan shared to IRSMP
- 20/06/2011 00:00 - National Renewable Energy Program is a step towards energy self-sufficiency, says Aquino
- 17/06/2011 12:41 - AFP, PNP assure everything under control despite US travel advisory