Friday, 29 July 2011 10:50
The Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Social Fund Project (ASFP) helps address the inadequacy of school facilities in the ARMM with the construction of two-storey, eight-classroom school buildings in at least twelve different schools across the region with funds drawn from a loan from the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Based on the latest ASFP data, seven of these buildings have been completed and are already in use while works on the remaining five are underway.
ASFP Project Manager Nasser Sinarimbo said the move is “in support to the effort of the ARMM government to provide quality education to its people.”
“Quality facilities make learning more conducive to students,” he said.
All 12 school buildings should be complete by December next year according to Domingo Guariño, team leader of consultants hired by JICA to assist in the project.
Recently, the ASFP signed a contract with DCM Construction, a private contractor, for the construction of a similar type of school building in Datu Mamintal Adiong Memorial National High School in Bubong, Lanao del Sur, valued at approximately P8.9 million.
Actual construction would begin in a few days and should be completed in at least 150 calendar days according to the contract.
Amimbae Dipunudun, principal of the said school, said the new building will help address the insufficiency of classrooms in their school.
She said the 15 classrooms in the school cannot accommodate its entire population of students, which is at 995 this year.
“We are forced to make use the school’s stage and faculty office for holding classes,” she said.
Dipunudun also said the school lacks teaching staff.
“We only have 12 regular teachers,” she said, “so we use some of MOOE [maintenance and other operating expenses] funds to pay for the allowance of 11 volunteer teachers.”
Bai Mayan Sinsuat, Department of Education (DepEd)-ARMM undersecretary, said her agency will find ways to complement the efforts of ASFP by providing competent teachers to schools in the region. (BPIARMM/RVC-PIA9 BaSulTa)
- 03/08/2011 13:05 - Oil and gas exploration in areas covered by ancestral domain will push through
- 03/08/2011 13:04 - Bienvenido Florendo Nebres S.J., proclaimed national scientist
- 02/08/2011 14:27 - Seminar on national anthem, flag Hekasi held for teachers
- 30/07/2011 12:11 - NDRRMC: 'Juaning' death toll rises to 41
- 29/07/2011 10:51 - ARMM distributes palay seeds, steps up services to remotest poor sectors
- 29/07/2011 10:49 - Filipino Catholics want Butuan Bishop out
- 29/07/2011 10:48 - Nat’l greening program gets boost from Mindanao stakeholders
- 29/07/2011 10:48 - PNP, PDEA intensify anti- drug campaign
- 29/07/2011 10:46 - Enjoy Sun Cellular’s July Rainy Day Specials
- 28/07/2011 13:04 - 9 dead in ‘Juaning’s’ wrath -- NDRRMC