Friday, 12 August 2011 14:24
President Benigno S. Aquino III is scheduled to meet with the Philippine Dragon Boat team following their highly-successful victory in an international competition in the United States last week.
During the regular press briefing at Malacanang on Wednesday, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said that the Dragon Boat team will pay a courtesy call on the President today, Friday (August 12) at 1 p.m. in Malacanang.
“We were able to schedule a courtesy call on Friday at 1 p.m., my understanding is that they will be arriving on Friday at 6 a.m., so since the President has an event in the morning, we were able to find a schedule in the afternoon,” Lacierda said. “We will be more than glad to see them here in the Palace,” he added.
Lacierda also lauded the team for bringing honor for the country saying that the team serves as an inspiration for the Filipino people.
“We are very very proud of the number of gold (medals) that they have received and the silver (medals) … We are really proud of the Philippine Dragon Boat Team and I hope they will continue to set an example of excellence among Filipinos in terms of sports and discipline,” Lacierda noted.
The Philippine dragon boat team is composed of men from the Philippine Army, Philippine Navy, Philippine Coast Guard and the Philippine Air Force.
The Filipino Dragon Warriors won five gold and two silver medals in the recently concluded 10th International Dragon Boat Federation World Championships held in Tampa Bay, Florida.
The Philippine team dominated five rowing events and set two new world records, besting countries such as Australia, Hungary, Italy, and Trinidad and Tobago. (PNA)
- 16/08/2011 11:32 - Aquino vows continuing support to police, military
- 12/08/2011 14:29 - ASEAN economic summit opens in Indonesia's Manado
- 12/08/2011 14:28 - Another province looms in Bicol
- 12/08/2011 14:26 - 'Anti-human trafficking efforts must protect Filipinos here and overseas' - VP Binay
- 12/08/2011 14:24 - Governor Camins: Servicio de Calidad
- 12/08/2011 14:22 - 'Amazing' therapy wipes out leukemia in study
- 10/08/2011 13:18 - PHL sees ASEAN as a region of prosperity and stability
- 10/08/2011 13:18 - House leader pushes extension of 15-year AFP modernization program
- 10/08/2011 13:17 - Aquino directs NAPOLCOM to promote lady cop to next rank
- 10/08/2011 13:16 - PHL keen on focusing more on fundamentals amid US credit rating downgrade