Tuesday, 16 August 2011 11:34
President Benigno S. Aquino III thanked the members of the Philippine Dragon Boat team for the honor they brought to the country following their highly-successful victory in the 10th International Dragon Boat Federation World Championship in Tampa, Florida last week.
“Thank you for bringing honor to the country. Thank you for being an inspiration. Thank you for being role models. Thank you for proving that if you work at it you will really succeed,” the President said in a brief message during the team’s courtesy call in Malacanang on Friday afternoon.
According to the President, the Palace is studying recommendations for a possible reward for the team, as some lawmakers pledged giving the members some incentives, adding that he has to talk to the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC).
The Philippine Dragon Boat Team is composed of men from the Philippine Army (PA), Philippine Navy (PN), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and the Philippine Air Force (PAF).
The team won five gold and two silver medals dominating five rowing events and setting two new world records and bested countries such as Australia, Hungary, Italy, and Trinidad and Tobago.
Team members include Junrey Dayumat (PCG), Raymond Morales (PCG), Salvador Sumagaysay (PA), Rico Pradilla (PN), Romy John Dionio (PA), Ruperto Sbijon (PN), Ramie Leano (PA), Joemar Ocquiana (PA), Crisanto Pabulayan (PAF), Usman Anterola (PA), Ronald Tan (PA), Jose Ijalo (PA), Annabelle Tario, (coach and drummer), Thea Bartolome (paddler), Ma. Theresa Realizan (paddler), Ma. Ailene Padrones (PAF), Amina Anuddin (paddler), Michelle Ebio (paddler), Liza Margret (paddler), Rowena Enriquez (paddler), Maj. Hanold Cabunoc (deputy spokesman PA, team manager), Marcia Cristobal (Philippine Dragon Boat Federation president, team manager), and Priscilla Pinky Castillo (PDBF secretary).
The Philippine Dragon Boat team received a citation from the President and in turn team manager Marcia Cristobal gave the President a paddle for a present. (PCOO/PIA9-BST)
- 17/08/2011 13:27 - Region 10 to host BIMP-EAGA SOMM
- 17/08/2011 13:26 - Chiz: Hate campaign threat by Bangsamoro groups baseless
- 17/08/2011 13:25 - DTI, DOT line up events for Kadayawan s Dabaw Festival?
- 17/08/2011 13:21 - Malacañang says Aquino approves in principle the Freedom of Information Bill
- 16/08/2011 11:34 - DepEd clarifies policies on kindergarten classes
- 16/08/2011 11:33 - Funds for unfilled position in gov’t could be a source of conversion, says Drilon
- 16/08/2011 11:33 - Napolcom sets PNP exams on October 23, 2011
- 16/08/2011 11:32 - 'Pilipinas Natin' goes to Davao City
- 16/08/2011 11:32 - Aquino vows continuing support to police, military
- 12/08/2011 14:29 - ASEAN economic summit opens in Indonesia's Manado