Wednesday, 17 August 2011 13:27
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Misamis Oriental - Preparations are underway for the holding of the BIMP-EAGA Senor Official’s and Ministers Meeting (SOMM) in the city, on October 19-21, this year.
An annual activity of the BIMP-EAGA, the SOMM is an activity wherein senior officials and ministers meet, together with the chairpersons and members of various sectoral clusters, working groups and task forces, for the purpose of discussing the status and progress of the sub-regional priority programs and projects, including issues and concerns affecting its implementation.
Comprised of Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines (BIMP)-East ASEAN Growth Area (EAGA) is a shared strategy of the four governments in addressing the imbalance in economic development, especially, for their less developed and more remote territories.
“It is the standing instruction of President Benigno S. Aquino III for the Philippines to take the lead in showing substantial gains and outcome of this sub-regional cooperation at the sidelines of the 7th BIMP-EAGA Leaders Summit held last May 8 in Jakarta, Indonesia,” said Jon Miral of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA).
He said MinDA is on top in the over-all coordination with regard to SOMM preparations, but will closely work and touch-base with the CDO City Government, through the Department of Trade and Industry in Misamis Oriental (DTI-Mis. Or.) provincial office, particularly in the exchange of information and other relevant documents.
Relatedly, the Regional Development Plan (RDP) 2010-2016 sees the importance of BIMP-EAGA in boosting investments, trade and exports for the region, recognizing the opportunities offered by the participating governments in effecting cross-border consolidation, complementation, industry and value-chain management.
The principal mechanism for consultations between and among the participating countries of the BIMP-EAGA is the SOMM which provides the strategic directions and general policy guidelines in addition to drawing the attention of the central governments to the development requirements of the focal areas.
Meanwhile, Ruben Vegafria, President of Promote CDO Foundation, said the conduct of the SOMM in region 10 will enable the region to promote its products and services, thereby, encourage the participating countries to strengthen and open up linkages in the Northern part of Mindanao.
Featuring major events such as the Northern Mindanao Agro-Industrial Trade Fair and Exhibit, BIMP-EAGA Investment Conference on Agro-Industry and Tourism and the MindaONE Trade Fair and Exhibit, the SOMM will showcase not just Region 10’s best products and services but also create complementation with the rest of Mindanao’s products, thereby, increasing the island’s prospects for business with the partner nations, Vegafria added. (PIA-10/BST)
- 19/08/2011 13:48 - PHL bans deployment of OFWs to Syria
- 19/08/2011 13:48 - Malacanang urges LGUs to help spread out dengue traps
- 19/08/2011 13:48 - Returning OFWs to be given government assistance
- 19/08/2011 13:47 - Santiago says RH bill part of privacy right
- 19/08/2011 13:47 - Tacurong City car bomb attack suspect arrested
- 17/08/2011 13:26 - Chiz: Hate campaign threat by Bangsamoro groups baseless
- 17/08/2011 13:25 - DTI, DOT line up events for Kadayawan s Dabaw Festival?
- 17/08/2011 13:21 - Malacañang says Aquino approves in principle the Freedom of Information Bill
- 16/08/2011 11:34 - DepEd clarifies policies on kindergarten classes
- 16/08/2011 11:34 - Aquino thanks Dragon Warriors for bringing honor to the country